2 explosions at the finish line of the Boston Marathon

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ozymandias

Reaction score
The fact that no terrorist organisation has yet claimed responsibility for the attack makes me think that it's more likely the work of an Anders Breivik type character. Not necessarily of the same politics as Brevik but someone who worked alone as opposed to part of a larger operation.

No evidence whatsoever to back up this view I should say, just a gut feeling.

zigglerHEEL

Reaction score
The fact that no terrorist organisation has yet claimed responsibility for the attack makes me think that it's more likely the work of an Anders Breivik type character. Not necessarily of the same politics as Brevik but someone who worked alone as opposed to part of a larger operation.

No evidence whatsoever to back up this view I should say, just a gut feeling.

yeah it sure seems like just some nut individual or very small group... not to take away from the damage it did, which is just terrible, but a larger terrorist group would've went for a far more destructive result

monkeystyle

Reaction score
Iv'e Become NUMB to News stories this.

I try not to be rude but I don't think that children should be taking part in these discussions.

From what I am hearing now, it is likely a shrapnel bomb, capable of injuring large numbers, but not very effective at killing.

Yeah, they hid them inside pressure cookers. I can't even begin to understand the reasoning behind that. I don't think that the pressure cookers would create extra shrapnel would they? Seems like they would absorb a lot of the initial impact.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
From then looks of the blast and the placings, this wasn't much of a terrorist attack, as it wasn't strategically placed for maximum damage, nor was it at an event or building that would cause maximimum harm to the economy. Looks like domestic terrorism imo, would be some guy pissed off he was fired from his job, or a guy who hates watching Kenyans winning these races.

And why is it always such a huge deal when something like this happens in the States? This is almost a daily occurrance around the world by far more devious methods, like children strapped with bombs who either don't know what they are carrying or are taught by their priests that they won't die.

This basically is like white girl missing type of stories to me now. It is sad, but not on the scale of whjat happens around the world.

monkeystyle

Reaction score
From then looks of the blast and the placings, this wasn't much of a terrorist attack, as it wasn't strategically placed for maximum damage, nor was it at an event or building that would cause maximimum harm to the economy. Looks like domestic terrorism imo, would be some guy pissed off he was fired from his job, or a guy who hates watching Kenyans winning these races.

I agree and disagree with parts of this.

They certainly were very strategically placed. The end of the race was deliberately chosen. Now, whoever did this may have fucked up but they definitely chose the end of the race to make an impact.

Domestic terrorism also isn't limited to single crazies with no ideology. There are plenty of domestic terrorist groups with ideologies.

And why is it always such a huge deal when something like this happens in the States? This is almost a daily occurrance around the world by far more devious methods, like children strapped with bombs who either don't know what they are carrying or are taught by their priests that they won't die.

This basically is like white girl missing type of stories to me now. It is sad, but not on the scale of whjat happens around the world.

I really hate this perspective. The Boston Marathon is a major event with participants coming from all around the world. For someone to attack a major event is newsworthy. For you to compare this with a "missing white girl" is incredibly dismissive and ignorant.

Last edited:

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
I agree and disagree with parts of this.

They certainly were very strategically placed. The end of the race was deliberately chosen. Now, whoever did this may have fucked up but they definitely chose the end of the race to make an impact.

Domestic terrorism also isn't limited to single crazies with no ideology. There are plenty of domestic terrorist groups with ideologies.

I really hate this perspective. The Boston Marathon is a major event with participants coming from all around the world. For someone to attack a major event is newsworthy. For you to compare this with a "missing white girl" is incredibly dismissive and ignorant.

I'm not saying this wasn't a terrible event, I'm saying the coverage of this was akin to "missing white girl" type of sensationalism, where news orgs are basically wallowing in this and not offering nothing of substance except speculation. There are far more horrific events out there that are not covered at all and that is my gripe.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
The event at which it happened is really the only reason this is getting that much more coverage than say if a building in Kansas was bombed and had the same casualties. It was such a big name event that tons of people cared about, so of course something terrible happening at it will get more coverage. I do get what you mean though, Deezy, there are things that should get just as much and more coverage that don't, but I don't think this has gotten too much either.

monkeystyle

Reaction score
I'm not saying this wasn't a terrible event, I'm saying the coverage of this was akin to "missing white girl" type of sensationalism, where news orgs are basically wallowing in this and not offering nothing of substance except speculation. There are far more horrific events out there that are not covered at all and that is my gripe.

Uhh, what?

Shit, even I'm not that cynical. You're Canadian, much as I am, so you're likely seeing the same news broadcasts that I am. These are North American news networks so it follows that they are going to cover major North American news first. It's not like they aren't covering the Venezuelan elections or the Iranian earthquake, they are just taking a back seat to news that is closer to home. This is pretty normal.

There are networks out there that do a better job at offering comprehensive coverage of global events. If you want that coverage seek it out but don't complain that news networks that are designed specifically to cover local (for lack of a better term) news are covering local news.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Uhh, what?

Shit, even I'm not that cynical. You're Canadian, much as I am, so you're likely seeing the same news broadcasts that I am. These are North American news networks so it follows that they are going to cover major North American news first. It's not like they aren't covering the Venezuelan elections or the Iranian earthquake, they are just taking a back seat to news that is closer to home. This is pretty normal.

There are networks out there that do a better job at offering comprehensive coverage of global events. If you want that coverage seek it out but don't complain that news networks that are designed specifically to cover local (for lack of a better term) news are covering local news.

Still some bullshit, the motherfuckers are 24/7 news orgs and can't offer me anything more than baseless oppinions and sensationalism about nothing and wallowing in tragedies in their own country with a whole world experiencing far worse.

Still some bullshit if you ask me.

monkeystyle

Reaction score
Still some bullshit, the motherfuckers are 24/7 news orgs and can't offer me anything more than baseless oppinions and sensationalism about nothing and wallowing in tragedies in their own country with a whole world experiencing far worse.

I'm curious as to what exactly you think is sensationalism and wallowing.

Also, I think that you are missing some things here. These 24/7 news networks are on television. In spite of your protestations these networks cater towards the people who watch them. In cases like these CNN, CTV, CBC, MSNBC and etc are catering towards North Americans who are by and large interested primarily in North American news.

I'll say it again. If you are interested in more comprehensive global news coverage, I would recommend going online for your news where they have the resources available to report on all news stories without needing to be beholden to the average TV viewer or time constraints.

I'm curious as to what exactly you think is sensationalism and wallowing.

Also, I think that you are missing some things here. These 24/7 news networks are on television. In spite of your protestations these networks cater towards the people who watch them. In cases like these CNN, CTV, CBC, MSNBC and etc are catering towards North Americans who are by and large interested primarily in North American news.

I'll say it again. If you are interested in more comprehensive global news coverage, I would recommend going online for your news where they have the resources available to report on all news stories without needing to be beholden to the average TV viewer or time constraints.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Sensationalism and wallowing are news networks covering a story simply for ratings, they offer no information and they offer nothing but mere speculation and eyewitness accounts that are nothing more than what the last guy said. It is just a ratings ploy that has been used since 9/11/01 and quite frankly is what is killing mainstream news.

I also don't want to trek the internet for news information, because it can be easily skewered into nothing more than someones oppinion ala Bleacher Report types of sites and search engines are designed to bring you to sites that cater to old searches and will either bring you to ideology news sites and further dillute any information I mat get.

TV is still the best way to get information, mainly becasue the internet is just too damn broad, but ratings grabs just fuck everything up. And even supposed Global news sites are catering to this and furthering the wallowing. Also, you don't hear about child soldiers or suicide bombers or even real shit about North Koreans.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
I just don't understand what drives people to do things like this. To attack a group of random innocent people to get back at some other person or company. Pretty sickening that they basically created sharpnel bombs to create the most damages and the most injuries. Sickening.

Odd about the timing of it all that it happened when the regular runners were coming through instead of the top high profile runners. Definitely can't be a large terrorist organisation as surely they would have timed it for the end of the race when the big names were coming through and the bombs were small compared to what the major organisations use.

Hopefully they can find those responsible and just give them the death penalty off the bat and execute them immediately. No reason for people that organise something like this to continue living.

Rated R Superstar

Reaction score
The westboro baptist smurfs tried or are picketing the funeral services of those who died at the bombings. Fucking scum.

Status
Not open for further replies.