American Wrestling Association: Under New Ownership

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Sports Team
u1fTOMX
Favorite Sports Team
wild
Favorite Sports Team
HDDZGPE
Favorite Sports Team
pUtq1ms
awa-logo.jpg

American Wrestling Association
Under New Ownership

July 1990

Verne Gagne.jpg

The scene opens in the office of Verne Gagne, owner of the American Wrestling Association. He grumbles as he's reading a letter, the look on his face being most displeased. He tosses the letter down and shouts.
Verne: They can't do that to me after thirty years!​

The letter is from ESPN, detailing the cancellation of Verne's premier show AWA Championship Wrestling. Verne sighs and cups his head in his hands. The date on the letter had been from two weeks prior, but Verne had been too busy dealing with other litigation that he hadn't been home in a while. AWA Championship Wrestling was set to be cancelled by the end of July. Verne had finally hit rock bottom. With no stars, no money, and now no television, Verne was stuck between a rock and a hard place. The American Wrestling Association was facing closure...

A Week Later

Verne struggles to make contact with any television broadcaster interested in funding the continuation of AWA Championship Wrestling. The phone in his office rings, which Verne picks up immediately.
Verne: This is Verne Gagne, how may I help you.

An all too familiar voice rings out from the phone, a deep booming voice. The voice of another wrestling owner.

???:
Ah, Verne, old friend, it's been so long since we've last spoken. It's Vince.

Verne: Pah, old "friend". What do you want?

Vince: Ah, not beating around the bush I see. Alright alright, Verne. I hear you're running on hard times; your show's been cancelled huh?

Verne: How the hell did you find out?

Vince: I have my sources, Verne. Now, listen. I'm feeling generous. I want to help you out Verne.

Verne: ...

Vince: Are you there Verne?

Verne: I'm listening...

Vince: I'm going to give you an offer. I want to buy the American Wrestling Association from you, Verne. All trademarks and properties of the AWA.

Verne: You what!?

Vince: You heard me Verne.

Verne: You're serious about this...

Vince: Deadly serious, Verne. I'll even give you how much I'm willing to pay.

Verne: ... How much?

Vince: 5 Million Dollars.

Verne: You're joking...

Vince: I'm not kidding, Verne. I will buy the AWA from you for $5 Million dollars.​
Verne begins to grit his teeth, obviously even more pissed off than he already is.

Verne: You honestly think I'm selling my life's work for a measly $5 Million dollars? You think this is a joke to you, Vince?

Vince: Well, yes, but that's a separate issue. I'm very serious about buying your company.

Verne: Vince, I want you to listen very carefully. You'll have to pry this company from my cold, dead, hands. I'm not selling to you.

Vince: A real shame, maybe you can use what limited funds you have left to ask Iron Sheik to break Hogan's leg again.

Verne: ... This conversation is over, Vince, good bye.​
Verne slams the phone down and sits back, trying to relax.

August 1990

Verne Gagne.jpg

The scene opens as Verne Gagne sits in the office of his palatial home in Bloomington, Minnesota. A knock comes at the door of his office.

Verne: Come in…

Greg Gagne 93.jpg

In comes Verne’s son, Greg. Greg has a look of concern, as his old man has stayed inside the office for weeks now except when at shows or when eating. Verne mutters to himself that all he needs is a little more money and he can compete, but knows it won't come any time soon.

Verne: Ah, Greg. What did you need?

Greg: Just wanted to chat, dad.

Verne: Well, what is there to chat about?

Greg: Well, you know…

Verne shifts in his chair and the frown on his face grows larger.

Verne: I've already talked about this. I won't sell. All we need is a little money and we can make a comeback.

Greg sighs and leans over the table.

Greg: Who would want to support us dad? We're better off selling to someone who can bring-

Verne: If you're just here to pester me to sell again, save it. Goddammit, I won't give up my life's work so easily-

Just then, the phone in his office rang. Verne grumbles and picks it up, staring angrily at his son for continuing to argue to sell the only thing he has left.

Verne: Hello?

A voice emanates from the phone, it's a deep voice, one full of power, that Verne recognizes very quickly.

Verne: Jesse? Well I'll be damned, what do you want? … Well, ESPN took us off the air last week, yeah… Well we're not in the hole… yet… Oh? Is that so? … You think they'll help us? Well to tell you the truth, we could use some money. Well let's schedule a meeting. I’ll call ya back soon.

Verne hangs up the phone as a toothy grin grows on his face.

Verne: That was Jesse Ventura, our old friend. He says there’s somebody who’s willing to help us out financially. How’s that, Greg?

Greg shifts uncomfortably and avoids eye contact with his father.

Greg: Uh, yeah… that’s… that’s great dad.

Verne: You see, the AWA won’t die as long as I live. I’ll keep this damn thing alive.

Greg: I know you will...

The Next Week

Verne Gagne.jpg
Greg Gagne 93.jpg

At the AWA offices, Verne and Greg sit in a meeting room awaiting the arrival of Jesse Ventura's mystery investor. Verne Gagne looks gingerly, exciteable, while his son Greg looks anxious.
Verne: I'm glad, Greg. This is our chance to make a comeback and get at that sonuvabitch Vince.

Greg: Indeed.

Verne: What's with you m'boy? You've seemed a bit jumpy lately.

Greg: It's nothing, Verne.​
Jesse Ventura 94.jpg

In comes Jesse Ventura, who shakes hands with Verne and gives him a hug.
Jesse: Verne, my man. It's good to see you, I got the investor just outside the door, as well as some surprise company.

Verne: Surprise company? Who else you got with the investor?​
Jim Barnett.jpg
_Businessman2.jpg

In comes one of the most respected men in wrestling history, Jim Barnett, and a dapper young man in a rather expensive looking business suit. He has a suitcase in hand. He extends his hand and shakes Verne's.
Anderson: You must be Verne. I've heard quite a bit about you. I'm excited to do some business with you.

Verne: The pleasure is all mine, all mine.

Anderson: Right then, let's get to it then. I presume Jesse has briefed you on what we're here for?

Verne: You were thinking of giving financial support to my company the American Wrestling Association, yes.

Anderson: In essence, yes. In truth, I am Scott Anderson, the president of 3M, the largest conglomerate in the US.

Verne: Woah. That's... I never knew. What does a company like 3M want with the American Wrestling Association?

Anderson: I thought you'd never ask. While it hasn't been announced yet for another week, 3M will be expanding into the media business. Indeed, 3M will soon be 4M. We've already purchased several small television studios in the US and Canada, we have a contract to broadcast select television shows from ABC and FOX, and of course we have no shortage of funds to continue this venture for the next five years. All that's missing is a staple of television. Turner has his World Championship Wrestling, and Vince has his World Wrestling Federation, but alas, 4M needs a wrestling company to complete the set. That's what we're here for. We're not only intent on financially supporting you, Verne, we're offering to outright buy the company for several millions.

Verne: ... I heard that correct, you wish to "buy" the company?

Anderson: Absolutely, Mr. Gagne. We've been told that Vince McMahon offered to pay $5 Million dollars to buy your company, and rest assured, we are not as cheap as Mr. McMahon. We're offering you well over $9 Million dollars including royalties for the rest of your life for the American Wrestling Association and all its properties.

Verne: That's... substantially more money than Vince...

Anderson: 4M makes well over a billion dollars yearly, $9 Million is nothing. Not only will it be coming from 4M, this money is also coming from Mr. Ventura, Mr. Barnett, and... your son, Greg.

Verne: Greg?

Greg: Uh, yeah. We've been working on this deal for close to a month, Verne. I think it's time you let me take care of business.

Verne: So, the son takes over for the father...

Greg: It'll be in good hands, I promise dad. With this deal, we'll have unlimited money, guaranteed stars, a guaranteed TV deal of a lifetime. You can't say no to this, dad. It's either this or the company dies. With this we stand a fighting chance of taking it to Vince!

Verne: I... I don't see much of an alternative... $9 Million is just too much to turn down.

Anderson: Excellent, sign here Verne, and we'll take care of the rest for you.

Verne: Greg, all I ask is that you kick that bastard Vince in the teeth, show him we're not a joke.​

And so the American Wrestling Association enters a new era...

Last edited:

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Sports Team
u1fTOMX
Favorite Sports Team
wild
Favorite Sports Team
HDDZGPE
Favorite Sports Team
pUtq1ms

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Sports Team
u1fTOMX
Favorite Sports Team
wild
Favorite Sports Team
HDDZGPE
Favorite Sports Team
pUtq1ms

AWA Roster Reveal
Blue - Face
Red - Heel

Main Eventers:

Bob Backlund

Dick Slater
Jerry Lawler
Ken Patera

Larry Zbyzsko
Nikita Koloff
Paul Orndorff
Rick Rude

Ricky Steamboat
Terry Gordy

Tully Blanchard

Upper Midcarders:

Bam Bam Bigelow
Bobby Eaton

Dan Severn
Doug Gilbert
Eddie Gilbert
Mike Enos
Razor Ramon
Samu
Stan Lane

Tiger Sayama
Tom Prichard

Midcarder:

Brad Rheingans
Bunkhouse Buck
Cactus Jack
DJ Peterson
Doug Furnas

Fatu
Hector Guerrero
Jimmy Del Ray
Mando Guerrero
Owen Hart
Phil LaFon
Scott Norton

Scotty the Body
Steve Regal

The Trooper
William Regal

Lower Midcarder:

Booker T
Dean Malenko
Jeff Jarrett
Joe Malenko

Savio Vega
Steve Austin
Stevie Ray
Wayne Bloom

Opener:

Chris Benoit
Chris Candido

Gary Albright
Jerry Lynn
The Lightning Kid

Enhancement Talent:

2 Cold Scorpio
Buck Zumhofe
Rey Misterio Jr.

Women's Division:

Akira Hokuto
Bull Nakano
Candi Devine
Debbie Malenko

Leilani Kai
Lisa Moretti
Luna Vachon
Madusa Miceli
Rockin Robin Roberts
Wendi Richter

Managers:

Boris Malenko
Col. Robert Parker
Jeannie Clark
Jim Cornette

Superstar Billy Graham
Woman

Announcer:

Eric Bischoff
Tony Schiavone

Color Commentator:

Jesse Ventura

Referees:

Bill Alfonso
David Manning
Mark Curtis
Ric Manning
Scrappy McGowen

Authority Figure:

Bill Watts

Road Agents:

Eddie Sharkey
Ernie Ladd
Greg Gagne
Jim Barnett
Larry Hennig
Mike Graham

Personality:

Dale Gagne
Ken Resnick
Larry Nelson
Nick Bockwinkel

Tag Teams:
Double Trouble (Akira Hokuto and Bull Nakano)
Doug Furnas & Phil LaFon
Harlem Heat (Booker T & Stevie Ray)
Los Guerreros (Mando & Hector Guerrero)
DJ Peterson & The Trooper

The Destruction Crew (Wayne Bloom & Mike Enos)
The Gilberts (Eddie and Doug Gilbert)
The Heavenly Bodies (Tom Prichard & Jimmy Del Ray)
The Malenko Bros. (Dean & Joe Malenko)
The Midnight Express (Bobby Eaton & Stan Lane)

The Olympians (Ken Patera & Brad Rheingans)
The Samoan SWAT Team (Fatu & Samu)
The Studs (Dick Slater & Bunkhouse Buck)
Stables
Members
Camp Cornette:Jim Cornette (Manager)
Bobby Eaton
Stan Lane
Bam Bam Bigelow
Akira Hokuto
Bull Nakano
Jimmy Del Ray
Tom Prichard
The Guerrero Family:Hector Guerrero
Mando Guerrero
The Malenko Family:Boris Malenko (Manager)
Dean Malenko
Joe Malenko
Debbie Malenko
The Stud Stable:Col. Robert Parker (Manager)
Paul Orndorff
Dick Slater
Bunkhouse Buck
Candi Devine

Last edited:

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Sports Team
u1fTOMX
Favorite Sports Team
wild
Favorite Sports Team
HDDZGPE
Favorite Sports Team
pUtq1ms
Championship
Current Holder
Previous Holder
awaworld3.jpg

AWA World Heavyweight Championship
Larry Zbyszko 1.jpg

Larry Zbyszko (2x Holder)
April 1990 - Current
Masa Saito.jpg

Masa Saito
February 1990 - April 1990
awatv.jpg

AWA International Television Championship
N/A
Greg Gagne.jpg

Greg Gagne
December 1988 - October 1989
awatag.jpg

AWA World Tag Team Championship
DJ Peterson.jpg
The Trooper.JPG

August 1990 - Current
Mike Enos 1.jpg
Wayne Bloom 1.jpg

The Destruction Crew
October 1989 - August 1990
awaladies.jpg

AWA World Women's Championship
Candi Devine.jpg

Candi Devine (4x Holder)
December 1989 - Current
Wendi Richter.jpg

Wendi Richter
November 1988 - December 1989
awalight.jpg

AWA World Light Heavyweight Championship
Steve Regal.jpg

Steve Regal (2x Holder)
January 1991 - Current
Buck Zumhofe.jpg

Buck Zumhofe
August 1990 - January 1991

Last edited:

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Sports Team
u1fTOMX
Favorite Sports Team
wild
Favorite Sports Team
HDDZGPE
Favorite Sports Team
pUtq1ms

AWA Creative Committee

Greg Gagne 93.jpg

Greg Gagne - Head Booker

Jim Cornette 4.jpg

Jim Cornette - Booker

Bill Watts WCW.jpg

Bill Watts - Booker

Eddie Gilbert 3.jpg

Eddie Gilbert - Booker

Jesse Ventura 94.jpg

Jesse Ventura - Head of Announcing

Scrappy McGowen.jpg

Scrappy McGowen - Head of Refereeing

Mike Graham 2.jpg

Mike Graham - Creative Consultant

Ernie Ladd 3.jpg

Ernie Ladd - Creative Consultant

Jim Barnett.jpg

Jim Barnett - Creative Consultant

Eric Bischoff 1.jpg

Eric Bischoff - Creative Consultant

Last edited:

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Sports Team
u1fTOMX
Favorite Sports Team
wild
Favorite Sports Team
HDDZGPE
Favorite Sports Team
pUtq1ms

September 1990

Greg Gagne 93.jpg
_Businessman2.jpg
Jim Barnett.jpg
Jesse Ventura 94.jpg

The new ownership of American Wrestling Association sit around a conference table. They're discussing the current state of the AWA. As it stands, Verne's AWA was lacking in both star power and quality television for years now.
Scott Anderson: Gentlemen, Verne left us in quite a pickle. Our biggest star right now is Larry Zbyszko. Greg, you've been in the company the longest, what's your assessment of Larry, and do you believe he's worth keeping around?

Greg Gagne: Absolutely. While the company's fallen on hard times, he's the most talented man on the roster and is a quality wrestler. He can talk as well. We just need more stars in my opinion.

Anderson: I agree with you. I think Zybyszko should be given an extension and possibly a raise as soon as possible so he isn't tempted to go to WCW or WWF. Speaking of stars, I have several names at the moment that I want you gentlemen to get in contact with and see if you can entice them into joining the company. Money isn't a problem, as far as I'm concerned.
Anderson hands a copy of papers to each man and awaits their responses. The looks on their face indicate surprise, apprehension, and impression.
Jesse Ventura: These are some big names, Scott. You think we'll be able to get them?

Anderson: It's not a matter of being able to, it's a matter of needing to. We cannot survive with just Zbyszko, as good as he is.

Jim Barnett: Some of these names *are* leaving either WCW or WWF this month or so. I think with the financials we have, we could potentially get some of these guys.

Ventura: There's two here I could convince to come, we go way back. Plus we still have Nikita Koloff, he's a big deal, right?

Greg: Well yeah, he's the #2 star behind Larry.

Barnett: Greg, I have to ask, what about Lawler? I know he and Verne didn't see eye-to-eye, but he's a proven box office talent.

Greg: I don't know to be honest...

Anderson: I will deal with Lawler myself. He needs a partner, and we're going to work with him.

Ventura: What do we do with our tag division? We can't just use DJ Peterson and The Trooper and the Destruction Crew. We need more tag teams.

Anderson: That I'm not so sure about... What if we go international? Let's look at some teams in Japan who we could use.

Greg: Verne did always like international talent. I heard about Boris Malenko's kids, they're apparently so good they make anyone look good.

Anderson: Get in line with them. While we're at it, look at some international women to bolster our women's division. I want the best possible roster we can have.

Barnett: I'll work on the Southern talent, why don't you Jesse work on the Northern talent, and Greg you can deal with the international talent.

Ventura: Works for me, I got a few contacts in WWF.

Greg: Alright, I think my dad still has Baba and Inoki's contacts.

Anderson: I'll work on the business end at the moment. We need sponsors, new branding, a new look. I have an idea I think will get us a larger audience on KSLM-TV, 4M's new network.​

Reactions: Hoss and Chris

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Sports Team
u1fTOMX
Favorite Sports Team
wild
Favorite Sports Team
HDDZGPE
Favorite Sports Team
pUtq1ms
Notable Leavings From WWF / WCW / NJPW / AJPW / Other News

Rick Rude 1.jpg
- Former WWF Intercontinental Champion "Ravishing" Rick Rude has left WWF following several disputes with World Wrestling Federation owner Vince McMahon. He was reportedly unhappy with the payout for his SummerSlam Main Event with The Ultimate Warrior. He is suspected to be joining WCW by the end of the year.
Ricky Steamboat 92.jpg
- Another massive star, Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat, has also departed from New Japan Pro Wrestling following the finish of a recent tour that ended in October. He is highly suspected to return to World Wrestling Federation, a company he saw some success in, by 1991.
Jim Cornette 4.jpg
Stan Lane 1.jpg
- 2/3 of the Midnight Express, Jim Cornette and Stan Lane have reportedly quit WCW after disagreements with CEO Jim Herd on money and booking. Reports follow that the two are also looking to get "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton, the last member of the Midnight Express, out of his contract with WCW in order to potentially go to USWA, Jerry Jarrett's promotion, or a rumored run in the WWF.
Tiger Mask.jpg
- Famed Japanese wrestler Satoru Sayama has reportedly un-retired from professional wrestling and is supposedly about to embark on a tour with either All Japan Pro Wrestling or New Japan Pro Wrestling. A bidding war has begun between them but an outside chance is that World Championship Wrestling and World Wrestling Federation snatches him up.
Bob Backlund 2.jpg
- Bob Backlund is also reportedly ready to return to the ring after a brief hiatus. He is reportedly intending to wrestling in Japan for smaller companies, but World Wrestling Federation appears to be interested in a return for the former WWF World Heavyweight Champion.
Bam Bam Bigelow 4.jpg
- Bam Bam Bigelow has reportedly left World Championship Wrestling for undisclosed reasons. From what could be investigated, it appears that Bigelow will not be heading to World Wrestling Federation following this release. More news to follow.
Scott Hall 1.jpg
- Scott Hall, famous in the past for wrestling as "Big" Scott Hall for the AWA, and Starship Coyote in WCW, has left New Japan Pro Wrestling following the most recent tour. Speculation indicates that the World Wrestling Federation is highly interested in picking up the 32 year old.
Cactus Jack 91.jpg
- Cactus Jack, the mysterious and deranged wrestler from Truth or Consequences, New Mexico, has supposedly departed following the purchase of World Class Championship Wrestling by Jerry Jarrett. The 25 year old is rumored to have interest from World Championship Wrestling, which he had worked for previously, most famously in his match with Mil Mascaras at Clash of the Champions X, where he took a dropkick on the apron and fell onto his head on the concrete. Jim Cornette is supposedly a massive backer of Cactus, which shows good signs for Jack.
Owen Hart 91.jpg
- The youngest son of Stu Hart, and younger brother of WWF Intercontinental Champion Bret "Hitman" Hart, Owen Hart, has left New Japan Pro Wrestling to embark to America, where he is expected to sign with World Championship Wrestling by March next year. He is reported as being an incredible young prospect much like his older brother, but with a more agile and high-flying style.
Tony Schiavone 1.jpg
- Announcer Tony Schiavone has reportedly finished work with World Wrestling Federation after only a year in the company. He was reportedly dissatisfied with the working environment and felt he would be better used back in World Championship Wrestling. He is expected to sign back with Turner's company in a few months.
Bill Watts WCW.jpg
- Former Mid-South Wrestling owner and wrestler "Cowboy" Bill Watts has reappeared in wrestling news as World Championship Wrestling is interested in hiring him as a potential replacement for current CEO Jim Herd. While WCW has neither confirmed nor denied these rumors, Bill Watts has been oddly silent on the report. More news to follow if it breaks.
Nick Bockwinkel.jpg
- Former 5-time American Wrestling Association World Heavyweight Champion Nick Bockwinkel is also in the news as World Wrestling Federation and World Championship Wrestling as an agent or producer of sorts, potentially even an on-screen role. The smooth talker is considered a front runner for an interviewer or authority figure of sorts.​

Reactions: Chris

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Based on your previous exploits around this time period, I feel like I can guess pretty safely on at least a few of the new names being brought on. But I'll hold off until I see how things shake up. I finally made it to 1989 in my AWA TEW game so the juxtaposition of our companies should be interesting to see.

Reactions: Bobby Barrows

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Sports Team
u1fTOMX
Favorite Sports Team
wild
Favorite Sports Team
HDDZGPE
Favorite Sports Team
pUtq1ms

December 1990

Jim Cornette 4.jpg

Jim Cornette is at his home in Louisville, Kentucky, when he receives a phone call. Cornette, surprised, picks it up.
Cornette: I don't want any of what you're selling, lose my fucking number!

???: ... That's one way to greet a friend, Corny.

Jim Barnett.jpg

Cornette: Oh shit, Barnett? I thought you were a telemarketer.

Barnett: Real cute, Corny. If you're not interested at least you said in the first sentence.

Cornette: What can I do for you, Jim?

Barnett: Well I heard you left WCW this last month or so.

Cornette: You know exactly why, Jim. I just can't stand that god damned idiot mouth-breather Herd. Stan and I just had e-fucking-nough. I just feel bad about Bobby.

Barnett: About Bobby. I want you to get him to quit WCW as well.

Cornette: What? Did I just hear that right, Jimmy? Bobby's got kids, man, he needs that job.

Barnett: What if I told you that money is no problem with what I'm offering.

Cornette: Well I'm listening.

Barnett: Join the AWA.

Cornette: *snort* What!? Did I hear that right, Jimmy? Join the AWA?

Barnett: I understand your concern, but let me just cut to the chase. The American Wrestling Association is under new ownership. Money isn't an issue, and, as a bonus, *we* are offering you a position on the booking committee.

Cornette: ... How much?

Barnett: $100,000 per year. Guaranteed, the three of you. If any of you are injured, you're covered and still get that money.

Cornette: *loud sigh* Shit, that is less than what we got at WCW, but still good money...

Barnett: Mr. Anderson, the principal owner, is adamant about you and the Midnight Express coming here. He says he wants to make you the AWA's equivalent to Bobby Heenan.

Cornette: Well god damn, Jimmy, are you trying to fatten me up here? You get me those contracts, I will get you Bobby Eaton.

Barnett: I will get them to you in a few days.

Reactions: Chris and Hoss

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
THE HYPE IS REAL :mark:

Jimmy King

It’s Britney, bitch
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
oAYiXZo
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
DjUmJN2
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
eIHNFff
Favorite Sports Team
padres
Favorite Sports Team
Zjaonp3
Reading Corny’s dialogue I heard his voice in my head, if anyone can write Corny well, it’s you Grim.

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Sports Team
u1fTOMX
Favorite Sports Team
wild
Favorite Sports Team
HDDZGPE
Favorite Sports Team
pUtq1ms

December 1990:

AWA Championship Wrestling.jpg

AWA Championship Wrestling Returning to TV

The AWA's flagship program from ESPN, AWA Championship Wrestling, is returning to the television landscape this January, following the shocking purchase of the American Wrestling Association by 4M, formerly 3M. Minnesota Mining, Manufacturing, and Media Company, has also entered the television business with the creation of their Media Division. Several small broadcasters in parts of the United States and Canada were purchased by 4M in the last few months as part of their plan to create a brand new superchannel, KSLM-TV, nicknamed "4M TV".

AWA Championship Wrestling was formerly on ESPN from 1985 to this past July, when it was unceremoniously cancelled. The revival of the AWA from near bankruptcy has been a highlight for some time following the surprise news that several big names from Jerry Lawler, Bob Backlund, Tully Blanchard, Paul Orndorff, Bam Bam Bigelow, and Jim Cornette & The Midnight Express have signed with the company.

AWA Creative Committee
Greg Gagne 93.jpg

Greg Gagne - Head Booker

Jim Cornette 4.jpg

Jim Cornette - Booker

Bill Watts WCW.jpg

Bill Watts - Booker

Eddie Gilbert 3.jpg

Eddie Gilbert - Booker

Jesse Ventura 94.jpg

Jesse Ventura - Head of Announcing

Scrappy McGowen.jpg

Scrappy McGowen - Head of Refereeing

Mike Graham 2.jpg

Mike Graham - Creative Consultant

Ernie Ladd 3.jpg

Ernie Ladd - Creative Consultant

Jim Barnett.jpg

Jim Barnett - Creative Consultant

Eric Bischoff 1.jpg

Eric Bischoff - Creative Consultant

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Bischoff :stephena2:

• Haha

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Sports Team
u1fTOMX
Favorite Sports Team
wild
Favorite Sports Team
HDDZGPE
Favorite Sports Team
pUtq1ms

AWA Roster Reveal
Blue - Face
Red - Heel

Main Eventers:

Bob Backlund

Dick Slater
Jerry Lawler
Ken Patera

Larry Zbyzsko
Nikita Koloff
Paul Orndorff
Rick Rude

Ricky Steamboat
Terry Gordy

Tully Blanchard

Upper Midcarders:

Bam Bam Bigelow
Bobby Eaton

Dan Severn
Doug Gilbert
Eddie Gilbert
Mike Enos
Razor Ramon
Samu
Stan Lane

Tiger Sayama
Tom Prichard

Midcarder:

Brad Rheingans
Bunkhouse Buck
Cactus Jack
DJ Peterson
Doug Furnas

Fatu
Hector Guerrero
Jimmy Del Ray
Mando Guerrero
Owen Hart
Phil LaFon
Scott Norton

Scotty the Body
Steve Regal

The Trooper
William Regal

Lower Midcarder:

Booker T
Dean Malenko
Jeff Jarrett
Joe Malenko

Savio Vega
Steve Austin
Stevie Ray
Wayne Bloom

Opener:

Chris Benoit
Chris Candido

Gary Albright
Jerry Lynn
The Lightning Kid

Enhancement Talent:

2 Cold Scorpio
Buck Zumhofe
Rey Misterio Jr.

Women's Division:

Akira Hokuto
Bull Nakano
Candi Devine
Debbie Malenko

Leilani Kai
Lisa Moretti
Luna Vachon
Madusa Miceli
Rockin Robin Roberts
Wendi Richter

Managers:

Boris Malenko
Col. Robert Parker
Jeannie Clark
Jim Cornette

Superstar Billy Graham
Woman

Announcer:

Eric Bischoff
Tony Schiavone

Color Commentator:

Jesse Ventura

Referees:

Bill Alfonso
Ric Manning
Scrappy McGowen

Authority Figure:

Bill Watts

Road Agents:

Eddie Sharkey
Ernie Ladd
Greg Gagne
Jim Barnett
Larry Hennig
Mike Graham

Personality:

Dale Gagne
Ken Resnick
Larry Nelson
Nick Bockwinkel

Tag Teams:
Double Trouble (Akira Hokuto and Bull Nakano)
Doug Furnas & Phil LaFon
Harlem Heat (Booker T & Stevie Ray)
Los Guerreros (Mando & Hector Guerrero)

The Destruction Crew (Wayne Bloom & Mike Enos)
The Gilberts (Eddie and Doug Gilbert)
The Heavenly Bodies (Tom Prichard & Jimmy Del Ray)
The Malenko Bros. (Dean & Joe Malenko)
The Midnight Express (Bobby Eaton & Stan Lane)

The Olympians (Ken Patera & Brad Rheingans)
The Samoan SWAT Team (Fatu & Samu)
The Studs (Dick Slater & Bunkhouse Buck)
Stables
Members
Camp Cornette:Jim Cornette (Manager)
Bobby Eaton
Stan Lane
Bam Bam Bigelow
Akira Hokuto
Bull Nakano
Jimmy Del Ray
Tom Prichard
The Guerrero Family:Hector Guerrero
Mando Guerrero
The Malenko Family:Boris Malenko (Manager)
Dean Malenko
Joe Malenko
Debbie Malenko
The Stud Stable:Col. Robert Parker (Manager)
Paul Orndorff
Dick Slater
Bunkhouse Buck
Candi Devine
Championship
Current Holder
Previous Holder
awaworld3.jpg

AWA World Heavyweight Championship
Larry Zbyszko 1.jpg

Larry Zbyszko (2x Holder)
April 1990 - Current