Could a Goldberg return happen/work?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

zigglerHEEL

Reaction score
THere was an online rumor last week that Goldberg had signed a 4 year deal to return to WWE after WM 29 in April..... The rumor was quickly shot down by Goldberg himself and certainly had no merit to it but it got me thinking....and I'd like to hear everyone else's thoughts..

1. Would WWE want him back? I think they certainly would as Vince has always said he'd do anything if he thought it would make money. With the successful returns of The Rock and Brock I'm sure they feel they could do the same with a Goldberg return.

2. Would Goldberg want to come back? This may be where the problem lies. Doesn't seem to me like the guy has any interest in returning to the business. He hasn't had much success in his other career ventures and i would think if it were a case of him needing the money then a return would've happened long before now.

3. Would you want to see it? I know I'd mark out the first time his music hit. It would probably never happen but I would book a Ryback heel turn at WM with him alligning with the Shield and have Goldberg return on Monday to confront him... Take advantage of the fact that almost a year into Ryback's run the crowd still chants Goldberg during his matches..

Again, I know the rumor was completely shot down and none of this will happen, just thought it might be fun to discuss

We Are Legion

║▌║█║▌||| ║▌║▌█ ║█║║▌||
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
jbl2
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
The last time I heard a rumor that Goldberg was planning a comeback a couple years ago and he was in discussions with WWE and TNA, the deals fell through because neither promotion was willing to pay Goldberg the money he was asking for, and that wasn't a rumor, that came straight from the horse's mouth. I think there might also have been some disagreements as to how he would be utilized. So as far as him wanting to come back, I definitely think Goldberg's "want to" is there, but the guy severely overestimates how much he's worth.

And as for my personal opinion on the matter, I think the days of Goldberg have passed. I get the feeling that he would expect to be handled how he was in WCW during 1999 and that just simply isn't going to happen and with good reason. I've been extremely critical on both the Rock and Brock Lesnar's involvement in the product for much of the past year and my feelings would be very similar towards Goldberg. Bringing anyone from one of those previous eras back is always a step backwards in the long run despite what it does for the ratings and ppv buy rates short-term. Because once Goldberg leaves or isn't available for whatever reason, the WWE is right back to the drawing board. You can't develop new characters in that type of environment, it simply doesn't work.

But unlike the Rock and Lesnar, Goldberg is actually a risk. Rock and Lesnar are both considerable stars outside the wrestling world and you bring in new viewers with their presence and at least it pays off. In other words, wrestling's "core fans" (people that are going to watch the show regardless simply because of their love for pro wrestling) might be pleased with the idea, but how many new viewers is Goldberg going to bring in? My guess is not many because only wrestling fans are going to be wow'd by his involvement in the product. And especially considering how much Goldberg was asking for last time he was in discussions with the WWE, I seriously doubt the pay-off would be worth the investment. If you're going back to the well with someone like him, you want it to be financially profitable above just simply appeasing fans who aren't going anywhere regardless and it's highly unlikely Goldberg would bring about any drastic difference on any measurable level.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
He's always stated that he would like to return for one more match or run (I forget which) so that his kids can get to see him.

I'd like to see it and would most certainly mark out for the music, pyro and everything else that follows.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Too much time has passed for it to matter.

I mean it wouldn't take much to build him up as a beast as he looks like a star, but whats the point when you could do that with Ryback or Henry and have a couple more years to reap the rewards at a lower cost. Goldberg/Taker would still be a huge Mania match for me personally, but I doubt it'd go over too well with the WWE UNIVERSE.

Theres nobody on the current roster I'd like to see him against.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Goldberg would hurt himself grabbing the pen to sign the contract.

No use for him at this time, he had his run, now he is too old and can't be reliable to work like a Jericho or even a Jim Duggan for that matter.

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
eddieguerrero
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
evolution
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Ryback is 31.

Goldberg is 46.

Bill Goldberg will probably demand a lot more money for the same job that Ryback does. Given Ryback's chronological superiority (Which is a pretentious way of saying he's "fresh") I doubt it. Not to mention that I doubt Goldberg will be the same again even if he does decide to come back.

That being said, even though I'm not a fan, I must admit that I want to see Bill Goldberg's entrance for one final time at least, I always thought that it was epic.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
They missed their chance to bring him back for WrestleMania 27 when it was hosted at the Georgia Dome in Atlanta. They should have given him a one off match on the show, would have been a hit with the old WCW faithful and he would have been a huge face in front of his home crowd. That would have been the perfect time to do it.

They could still bring him back now but I doubt it. If they were going to do it I think they would have done it by now. Would be nice to book Lesnar/Goldberg again so that they can both redeem themselves.

We Are Legion

║▌║█║▌||| ║▌║▌█ ║█║║▌||
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
jbl2
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
[MENTION=2]Troy[/MENTION] I believe that was the year WWE was last in talks with him because they were inducting some WCW guys into the Hall of Fame that year too. That's why it seemed so perfect for him to make his last run that year, but the fucker wanted too much money and too much of a push for a short stint.

Rated R Superstar

Reaction score
To me, it just doesn't seem like he's worth the money. Especially when he's asking for a lot more money then he is worth. I'd mark out hardcore if he did in fact return. But I don't want to see some guy doing it because he's getting the money. I think Rock and Lesnar are having a good time during their time in WWE right now, but would Goldberg also have that same feel about him? I like that in wrestlers. Makes it a bit more entertaining and satisfying.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
But I don't want to see some guy doing it because he's getting the money. I think Rock and Lesnar are having a good time during their time in WWE right now, but would Goldberg also have that same feel about him? I like that in wrestlers. Makes it a bit more entertaining and satisfying.
Don't kid yourself, Brock is only there for the money.

Rated R Superstar

Reaction score

Let a man dream dammit! Nah, but seriously it is pretty awesome seeing Lesnar back, and if I didn't already know about his million dollar contract I would honestly be believing my own shit.

Blujay

Reaction score

I felt that way with him when he first came back but since this second feud with HHHHHHHHHHH started it seems like he's more into it. He's got the pep back in his entrance like he used to. Even jumping the ring apron. Not sure what it is, but fuck, he might actually be enjoying his stay now.

I have no real interest in Goldberg coming back. I was never a big fan of his and the roster is just a clusterfuck right now anyways.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
I felt that way with him when he first came back but since this second feud with HHHHHHHHHHH started it seems like he's more into it. He's got the pep back in his entrance like he used to. Even jumping the ring apron. Not sure what it is, but fuck, he might actually be enjoying his stay now.
I didn't mean it to appear like I was saying he wasn't enjoying it because he may very well be, but what I meant was that he was clearly only back for the massive payday and not for the love of the business, or the fans etc.

Blujay

Reaction score
I didn't mean it to appear like I was saying he wasn't enjoying it because he may very well be, but what I meant was that he was clearly only back for the massive payday and not for the love of the business, or the fans etc.

And I agree with that completely.

The New F'n Show

Reaction score
I don't want to see it, but Bringing him back in the Rumble and giving him a match at Mania would work. That's the only way I could see it though and obviously we'd have to wait another year.