Could we be in for the swerve of all swerves??

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Because Mark is not the kind of guy who will leave without passing the torch. Its wrestling, so nothing can last forever, and why spend 22 years building up a legacy that only 1 guy will ever get a benefit from?

That being said, the guy to do that should be Ryback. He is young and getting the attention from the fans, and unless something horrible happens is a guy I can see around for years to come.

Even if Taker wants to pass the torch and have someone defeat him at WM, it may come down to WWE not wanting anyone to break the streak. They may decide that they want it kept intact out of respect for what he has done and maybe they just don't think anyone can break the streak and have it not be a let down.

ThatGuyFromNukemHigh

Reaction score
But for someone who has had so much control over his character, I do find it hard to believe that he would keep coming back if they were just going to take control over the only thing he does anymore.

I understand not wanting it to end, but like I said, its wrestling and nothing can last forever. Bruno & Moolah had to drop the titles eventually.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Whilst he would have plenty of input in his WM match each year WWE would still have the final say and would give him a list of potential opponents. He wouldn't have complete control over the direction of the character and in the end he does work for WWE so if they don't want him to lose it isn't like he can do anything about it. He just probably wouldn't wrestle anymore if that was the case. Plus to be fair he isn't doing this for charity. He would be coming back each year because he loves it but also because he gets paid a lot of money for one match each year.

ThatGuyFromNukemHigh

Reaction score
And you bring me to another point, I don't think Taker is in a position that he has to return each year for that payoff. He comes across as one of the guys that actually saved for his retirement. Not to say that payoff isn't huge, and it would be nice to pick up a paycheck like that for working a couple of days in a 2 month stretch.

Taker is actually the one in the position of power when you really think about it. Brass wants Undertaker matches at Mania to boost sales, if they attempt to force him into a story he does not like it is entirely possible for Taker to turn around and inform them that he just does not see this match working, and thus deciding not to wrestle at Mania. In an attempt to put a Taker match at Mania, they would be willing to do whatever they could, even if that means letting him lose to a guy he sees could be the leader of the locker room for years to come.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
That's just it Taker learned first hand not to lose to guys who might be there. Brock taught him that firsthand when he went out his way to put him over, only for Brock to say fuck it I'm bored and don't love wwe like you do.

Punk is a lot closer to that sentiment. Hes committed sure and loves wrestling, but he was gone to they gave him the money, the merch, the mic, and the spotlight with the longest reign (only to really get nothing earth shattering, not even Cena and Dave in 05).

If its anyone it has to be Cena or Kane. Kane if they want to retire together and leave in a blaze of pyro filled glory as the BOD in an embrace as it would bring a close to both characters to have Kane finally triumph on that stage. Cena if you want a guy who you know actually loves the company, loves it the way Taker/HHH/HBK do/did, who will bleed for it, sweat for it, work every damn day of the week be he hurt or sick, and carry the brand/belt/image with pride and not do anything stupid.

Theres no one else deserving. There's no one more trustworthy period

Last edited:

ThatGuyFromNukemHigh

Reaction score
I would agree with Cena if it was 10 years ago and the guy needed that extra padding on his achievements, but he is up there for holding the WWE Championship more times than nearly everyone.

I completely disagree with having the streak ended by someone who is retiring. And Brock got over, and Taker even went to every one of his UFC matches, I highly doubt there is any negativity between the two.

Also, I have to say something about you falling for a storyline. Do you really think WWE would have given Punk the title if they were unsure of him resigning? Remember Bret?

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Fold the company, sell the tape library to TNA, and cut & paste this thread in the final chapter of the Rise and Fall of WWE book.

Punk has already peaked 2 years ago, he will never be bigger than he was in those 15 mins. He could end the streak, claim responibility for 9/11 and beat up Make a Wish kids and still evoke no reaction from the crowd.

Makes no business sense to give a bum like Punk the keys to the kingdom, hes a beat up mid 30's guy with no look and a shitty attitude.

Kayfabe wise, look at the names on the streak, what does it say that some of the GOATs couldn't pull it off but the weakest name on the record could?

zigglerHEEL

Reaction score
Fold the company, sell the tape library to TNA, and cut & paste this thread in the final chapter of the Rise and Fall of WWE book.

Punk has already peaked 2 years ago, he will never be bigger than he was in those 15 mins. He could end the streak, claim responibility for 9/11 and beat up Make a Wish kids and still evoke no reaction from the crowd.

Makes no business sense to give a bum like Punk the keys to the kingdom, hes a beat up mid 30's guy with no look and a shitty attitude.

Kayfabe wise, look at the names on the streak, what does it say that some of the GOATs couldn't pull it off but the weakest name on the record could?

a little surprised it took so long to hear from you on this one...... and I'm confused, I thought you were a Punk mark :side:

We Are Legion

║▌║█║▌||| ║▌║▌█ ║█║║▌||
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
jbl2
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Even if Taker wants to pass the torch and have someone defeat him at WM, it may come down to WWE not wanting anyone to break the streak. They may decide that they want it kept intact out of respect for what he has done and maybe they just don't think anyone can break the streak and have it not be a let down.

If WWE did that, it would seriously be a first.