• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Default LG seeks to ban PS3 from USA(Euro shipments already stopped)

Kassidy

Reaction score
LG seeks to ban PS3 from USA(Euro shipments already stopped)

http://www.thinq.co.uk/2011/2/8/lg-seeks-ban-ps3-usa/

LG Electronics has lodged a patent infringement complaint against Japanese giant Sony asking that the Playstation3 be banned from the USA.

LG claims the console infringes four LG patents related to the playback of Blu-ray discs. The Korean firm's complaint filed with the US International Trade Commission says: "certain electronic devices having a Blu-Ray Disc player and components thereof", infringe patents held by LG, and names the PlayStation 3 specifically.

Sony said it wants "a permanent exclusion order... excluding from entry to the United States Sony's Accused Products that infringe one or more claims of the asserted patents."

LG also aimed a second lawsuit at Sony Bravia televisions with Blu-ray playback functionality, Bloomberg reports.

The action looks like a tit-for-tat move after Sony filed an ITC complaint against LG at the end of December over a mobile phone patents. "It's like 'you touch my smartphones and I bomb your game console,'" blogged Intellectual property campaigner Florian Mueller.

Read more: http://www.thinq.co.uk/2011/2/8/lg-seeks-ban-ps3-usa/#ixzz1GE0BIpfF

Also: Police could seize PS3s from Dutch homes
http://www.thinq.co.uk/2011/3/10/police-could-sieze-ps3s-dutch-homes/

Dutch police have secured a court order which allows them to seize all PlayStation 3 consoles, including those already in people's homes.

According to a report in The Guardian, Dutch cops have already grabbed and stockpiled several thousands PS3s at the country's major ports. But what is incredible is that the Dutch Fuzz could feasibly enter the homes of legitimate owners and confiscate their machines.

The temporary injunction on imports was requested by Korean electronics outfit LG as part of a patent spat involving Sony's use of Blu-ray technology apparently owned by LG. It currently only applies in the Netherlands, but that just happens to be where most PS3s headed for Europe land.

The two sides will appear in court today when LG is expected to insist that thousands of consoles, which are destined for retailers all over Europe, should be destroyed.

A Sony spokesman said: "We consider these allegations unwarranted, and will take appropriate measures including filing a claim of opposition to courts in the Netherlands. We will not comment on any further details."

Whilst the chances of Dutch rozzers kicking in people's back doors and nicking their games consoles are slim to none, even if the court order allows such action, it will be interesting to see how this one pans out and we'll keep you posted as soon as we hear anything from the court proceedings.

Read more: http://www.thinq.co.uk/2011/3/10/police-could-sieze-ps3s-dutch-homes/#ixzz1GE0RQZq7

nation

Reaction score
Re: LG seeks to ban PS3 from USA(Euro shipments already stopped)

Sony just won the lawsuit today, LG has to pay for all the legal fees. Good, fuck LG.

Luke Flywalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
LMAO, I wish LG would have won and someone would have told me I had to give my PS3 up...

Kassidy

Reaction score
Well, the Sony (pigs) won the 1st court case.
LG and Customs have to release all held PS3. LG also have to pay a £140,000 in costs.
BUT...
The case is not over, this was just about holding them.
The patent issue, which has been proved quite valid by the patent office, is still on going.

If Sony lose this, it could cost them well over 100 MILLION euros.
This in turn would cause the stock price to plummet, costing sony even more. (Estimated 200-300 million). Which 'could' see Sony enter a very bad financial state.

Karama's a bitch Sony.

not over yet Nation

Court lifts LG’s injunction against Sony for now as firm is ordered to pay legal fees

The patent disagreement between LG and Sony has been lifted – freeing 300,000 stranded PS3s in Holland.

Last month LG was granted a preliminary injunction against Sony for an infringement on Blu-ray technology, but now InsideGamer is reporting this has been lifted.

The injunction resulted in 300,000 PS3s being held by authorities, with many seized at the ports of Rotterdam and Schiphol.

All PS3s will now be released and there will be no more seizures, reports Eurogamer. LG has allegedly been slapped with an order to pay all €130,000 of Sony's legal fees. For each day it fails to do so, it will be fined a further €200,000.

FOSS Patents owner and IP activist Florian Mueller said: “If this is true, it is only related to the prejudgment seizure order.

“This means Sony can resume the distribution of PlayStations across Europe for now, but there will be a full-fledged legal proceeding to determine whether there is an infringement – and if so, how much Sony owes LG for it.”

What LG wants
Breaking it down, LG wants a patent royalty of between $2.50 and $2.55 for each Blu-ray device sold by Sony. Sony has already sold more than 47 million PS3s. LG also wants cash for future sales. In total, it's after a bank guarantee of, wait for it, $350 million.

This Guy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Sony will end up just settling with LG just like they did with the Dual Shock law suit from a few years back that almost got the PS2's pulled and the PS3 to launch without the Dual Shock. Sony will eventually give in because there is no reason not to. Just like the Dual Shock they are using someone elses technology and not paying a royalty for it......must suck though that because of Sony's stuborness to settle with the Dual Shock issue that Microsoft had come along and bought the technology during that time and now that Sony gave into there customers demands for Dual Shock actually have to pay Microsoft there competitor a royalty everytime they sell a controller now. lol

nation

Reaction score
Sony will end up just settling with LG just like they did with the Dual Shock law suit from a few years back that almost got the PS2's pulled and the PS3 to launch without the Dual Shock. Sony will eventually give in because there is no reason not to. Just like the Dual Shock they are using someone elses technology and not paying a royalty for it......must suck though that because of Sony's stuborness to settle with the Dual Shock issue that Microsoft had come along and bought the technology during that time and now that Sony gave into there customers demands for Dual Shock actually have to pay Microsoft there competitor a royalty everytime they sell a controller now. lol

lol, what???????? Sony invented the modern controller style of the Dualshock, they don't pay royalties to Microsoft. They were sued by the Immersion company over the use of vibration function, which they lost, resulting in them paying close to $100 million and yearly royalties, not Microsoft lol, and Sony invented the classic controller, which Microsoft went on to rip off with the 360 controller. Microsoft didn't invent shit, they copied off the success of the dualshock and now they're copying off the Eyetoy with Kinect.

monkeystyle

Reaction score
lol, what???????? Sony invented the modern controller style of the Dualshock, they don't pay royalties to Microsoft. They were sued by the Immersion company over the use of vibration function, which they lost, resulting in them paying close to $100 million and yearly royalties, not Microsoft lol, and Sony invented the classic controller, which Microsoft went on to rip off with the 360 controller. Microsoft didn't invent shit, they copied off the success of the dualshock and now they're copying off the Eyetoy with Kinect.

In 2002, Sony and Microsoft were sued by Immersion for patent infringement for the use of vibration functions in their gaming controllers.[1] Specifically, they were accused of infringing on claims in U.S. Patent 6,424,333 and U.S. Patent 6,275,213 (filed 2000 and 2001 as extensions of U.S. Patent 6,088,017, itself filed 1998, all "Tactile feedback man-machine interface device").[2] Both patents were continuation applications of a patent application originally filed in November 1995.[citation needed] Nintendo was not involved in the case, as the technology used in the Rumble Pak and GameCube controller is based on a different design, for which Nintendo holds the patents U.S. Patent 6,200,253 and U.S. Patent 6,676,520 based on a Japan patent application filed on October 9, 1995.

While Microsoft settled out of court, purchasing a 10% share in Immersion,[3] Sony continued to defend the case.

Bolded the important parts so that even you can follow along, Nation. Now, I'll try and explain this simply so you understand. When Microsoft settled with Immersion, they purchased a 10% stake in the company while Sony continued to fight their lawsuit.

Sony lost.

Sony pays out ninety some odd million to Immersion, of which Microsoft now owns 10%.

Are you following this? I'm not sure I can make it any simpler.

I'm not sure this time if this is a case of you just being an idiot or being deliberately misleading to inflate your obviously lacking ego.

monkeystyle

Reaction score
Ok can someone paraphrase what happened please? Like a little summary.. I really hate reading italicized text. And I am just lazy.. :) please?

Sony: You stole our tech!

LG: Fuck you, so did you!

Sony & LG: Let's whip 'em out and measure.

Not much more to it than that. It's just a stupid pissing contest that serves neither company's interests in the long run.

This Guy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho

Yes I was talking about the technology, not the controller itself... and I never said Micrsoft created it...I said they bought it....which they did. Microsoft bought the technolgy that is the vibration that Sony calls Dual Shock. Believe me its brought up every year at our managers confrence. Also not sure how you get that Microsoft ripped off the controller from Sony since the 360 Controller is a sleeker design of the original X-Box controller both of which are completely different then a Playstation controller and I would say is more like a Dreamcast controller which was the first to have trigger buttons instead of shoulder buttons. But whatever.

Oh and the Eye Toy was never a success and the Kinect is to the Eye Toy what 5 star dinning is to McDonalds.

nation

Reaction score
In 2002, Sony and Microsoft were sued by Immersion for patent infringement for the use of vibration functions in their gaming controllers.[1] Specifically, they were accused of infringing on claims in U.S. Patent 6,424,333 and U.S. Patent 6,275,213 (filed 2000 and 2001 as extensions of U.S. Patent 6,088,017, itself filed 1998, all "Tactile feedback man-machine interface device").[2] Both patents were continuation applications of a patent application originally filed in November 1995.[citation needed] Nintendo was not involved in the case, as the technology used in the Rumble Pak and GameCube controller is based on a different design, for which Nintendo holds the patents U.S. Patent 6,200,253 and U.S. Patent 6,676,520 based on a Japan patent application filed on October 9, 1995.

While Microsoft settled out of court, purchasing a 10% share in Immersion,[3] Sony continued to defend the case.

Bolded the important parts so that even you can follow along, Nation. Now, I'll try and explain this simply so you understand. When Microsoft settled with Immersion, they purchased a 10% stake in the company while Sony continued to fight their lawsuit.

Sony lost.

Sony pays out ninety some odd million to Immersion, of which Microsoft now owns 10%.

Are you following this? I'm not sure I can make it any simpler.

I'm not sure this time if this is a case of you just being an idiot or being deliberately misleading to inflate your obviously lacking ego.

So? They receive no where near the full amount of the royalties payed to Immersion. Nice job of pointing this out, doesn't really matter though, they hardly get much change from Sony.

You also likely suffer from the penis envy.

lol, this is coming from you? If anyone here is lacking in size it would be you. You clearly try to make up for it through your enormous ego because you have something else that is tiny so you try to hide it with your massive ego and your typical attempts to make yourself "intellectually superior".

Yes I was talking about the technology, not the controller itself... and I never said Micrsoft created it...I said they bought it....which they did. Microsoft bought the technolgy that is the vibration that Sony calls Dual Shock. Believe me its brought up every year at our managers confrence. Also not sure how you get that Microsoft ripped off the controller from Sony since the 360 Controller is a sleeker design of the original X-Box controller both of which are completely different then a Playstation controller and I would say is more like a Dreamcast controller which was the first to have trigger buttons instead of shoulder buttons. But whatever.

Oh and the Eye Toy was never a success and the Kinect is to the Eye Toy what 5 star dinning is to McDonalds.

Yes, the Eyetoy was a success, or else it wouldn't have been carried on over to the PS3. Just an ignorant statement, if you want to talk about success, well the look at the PS1 and PS2! The point is that Kinect is a more improved Eyetoy, you completely dodged this statement, Sony invented the Eyetoy and Microsoft copied off their technology with Kinect.

What? If it was a more improved XBOX controller, it would feature all the buttons it previously had, but no they slimmed it down to resemble the PlayStation Controller and just moved the D-Pad and one of the Joystiqs, it clearly takes inspiration from the PlayStation controller and they definitely copied off the success of the PlayStation Controllers. They just moved a few things around and have better trigger buttons.

This Guy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
So? They receive no where near the full amount of the royalties payed to Immersion. Nice job of pointing this out, doesn't really matter though, they hardly get much change from Sony.

Actually 10% would actually be a shit load of money considering its in every controller Sony sells and would also include sales of the systems since it comes with a controller as well... It freaking adds up.

Yes, the Eyetoy was a success, or else it wouldn't have been carried on over to the PS3. Just an ignorant statement, if you want to talk about success, well the look at the PS1 and PS2! The point is that Kinect is a more improved Eyetoy, you completely dodged this statement, Sony invented the Eyetoy and Microsoft copied off their technology with Kinect.

Just because something carries over to one system from the next doesn't mean it was a sucsess, and lets be honest, until Playstation Move (which if were going to speak in such general terms is a rip off of Wii) the PS3 Eye wasn't really being used to the same level that the PS2 Eye Toy was. Saying the Kinect is a rip off of the Eye Toy is like saying the 3D TV is a rip off of a regular TV. Was it inspired by? Maybe, but a rip off hardly. And if the PS2 Eye Toy was such a sucsess, why were their no Eye Toy style games released on PS3, at least not until Move and again the only reason Move came out was because of the sucsess of the Wii, otherwise they still wouldn't really be using it.

What? If it was a more improved XBOX controller, it would feature all the buttons it previously had, but no they slimmed it down to resemble the PlayStation Controller and just moved the D-Pad and one of the Joystiqs, it clearly takes inspiration from the PlayStation controller and they definitely copied off the success of the PlayStation Controllers. They just moved a few things around and have better trigger buttons.

Um, maybe I am not fully awake or maybe you mistyped but I don't understand what your saying here..... So the original X-Box controller had 2 analog, 1 D-Pad, 2 Triggers and 6 Face buttons, then they slimmed it down and changed it to 2 analogs, 1 D-Pad, 2 Triggers, 2 shoulders and 4 Face buttons. So the same amount of buttons, just it different places and that means they ripped off Playstation controllers? And you also said they switched the D-Pad and an Analog when they went to 360...but up, they didn't. The X-Box & 360 Controllers both have that same Analog across from face buttons and then D-Pad & 2nd Analog across from eachother, as did the Dreamcast controller & the Gamecube Controller...so again I disagree. The X-Box controllers are clearly inspired by the Dreamcast controller. The only thing I would say Sony inspired was the second analog stick. But if thats going to be the basis of the arguement then we will have to point out that Sony was the last company to finally realize that Trigger buttons are better then Shoulder buttons, and their shoulder buttons still suck.

monkeystyle

Reaction score

lol, what????????... they don't pay royalties to Microsoft.

Nice job shifting the goal posts here. It would be nice to see you try and mantain a consistent argument for once.

nation

Reaction score
Actually 10% would actually be a shit load of money considering its in every controller Sony sells and would also include sales of the systems since it comes with a controller as well... It freaking adds up..

They don't pay royalties on every controller sold, they pay yearly royalties for the rights to use their technology. It no where says royalties are being paid over each controller sold, not to mention if Sony payed this much, it would effect on their finances and the deal with Immersion hasn't had any effect on their forecasts so I'm assuming it has to be yearly royalties, in addition to licensing fees payed to Immersion.

Just because something carries over to one system from the next doesn't mean it was a sucsess, and lets be honest, until Playstation Move (which if were going to speak in such general terms is a rip off of Wii) the PS3 Eye wasn't really being used to the same level that the PS2 Eye Toy was. Saying the Kinect is a rip off of the Eye Toy is like saying the 3D TV is a rip off of a regular TV. Was it inspired by? Maybe, but a rip off hardly. And if the PS2 Eye Toy was such a sucsess, why were their no Eye Toy style games released on PS3, at least not until Move and again the only reason Move came out was because of the sucsess of the Wii, otherwise they still wouldn't really be using it.

While the Move is the best of both worlds, having a camera and a motion controller combined with 1:1 tracking but yes their actually motion controller design is copying from the Wii, however they perfected the technology just like Microsoft has with Kinect. Also, there was EyeToy games. EyePet, Eye of Judgment, Buzz Quiz, PGA Tour 08, Singstar, PES 2008, certain PS3 games which use the EyeToy for uploading pictures and obviously Move games.

Um, maybe I am not fully awake or maybe you mistyped but I don't understand what your saying here..... So the original X-Box controller had 2 analog, 1 D-Pad, 2 Triggers and 6 Face buttons, then they slimmed it down and changed it to 2 analogs, 1 D-Pad, 2 Triggers, 2 shoulders and 4 Face buttons. So the same amount of buttons, just it different places and that means they ripped off Playstation controllers? And you also said they switched the D-Pad and an Analog when they went to 360...but up, they didn't. The X-Box & 360 Controllers both have that same Analog across from face buttons and then D-Pad & 2nd Analog across from eachother, as did the Dreamcast controller & the Gamecube Controller...so again I disagree. The X-Box controllers are clearly inspired by the Dreamcast controller. The only thing I would say Sony inspired was the second analog stick. But if thats going to be the basis of the arguement then we will have to point out that Sony was the last company to finally realize that Trigger buttons are better then Shoulder buttons, and their shoulder buttons still suck.

Look at a PS3 controller then look at a 360 controller, you will see that the 360 controller is inspired by it. Notice how the have all the face buttons where they would be located on PlayStation controllers? Well, back with the XBOX they switched up the placements but they still take inspiration from PlayStation controllers. Hell, using Rumble Support is taking inspiration from PlayStation controllers, doesn't matter if Immersion created the technology, Sony was the first to implement it and what a massive success it's been.