Does WWE Rely Too Much on Its Legends?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

edge4ever

The Game
Technician
Reaction score
WWE relies too heavily on its legends because their product is stale and shitty for the most part. Focus on booking and creativity, not just the past.

I don't mind legend appearances, but to depend so much on them is insane.

edge4ever

The Game
Technician
Reaction score
A legend dropping a younger guy with his finisher isn't a big deal. Both Austin and Rock did this plenty back in the day, and I never heard anyone (at least not anyone being rational) argue that it made them look bad. It's a segment, not a wrestling match. And what you're basically saying is that you have no issue with Rollins cheating to win 99% of his matches, but if HBK hits him with some Sweet Chin Music by surprise during a promo, it somehow makes him look bad. OK.

Comparing Rollins' run to Triple H's run in 2000/2001 is crazy. HHH didn't lose anywhere near the same amount of times as Seth has, and he won a shit ton more times cleanly as well. In fact, his run was notorious for being one of the strongest booked heel runs (in terms of clean wins) a world champion has ever received. Rollins loses what feels like 90-95% of his television matches. Heel or not, that's pathetic when you're the WORLD champion. Save the Honky Tonk Man-esque reigns for the midcard titles.

IMO Seth should be booked more like heel Kurt Angle used to be. Angle cheated and used nefarious tactics most of the time, but there were also a long string of matches (and I'm talking about big PPV matches here, too) that he won cleanly on his own and yet he still managed to maintain his heel heat all throughout. This cowardly chickenshit heel run feels more befitting of a heel like The Miz than it does Rollins.
I agree with this 100%.

If Shawn kicked Seth to just make a point, it doesn't mean Seth, the world champ, would all the sudden become health slater? Health was jobbing then already and was there to be a dummy for the legends. He played his part.

If Seth just ate some sweet chin music and was out for a bit, then let ryback come out... It would've been the perfect Segway for Shawn to leave and introduce his match with ryback. Seth still could've been won after recovering, too.

I know you and I see eye to eye on Seths run. And it's insane to compare him to triple h. Seth is always losing, having others be involved, or simply just getting lucky, probably more than any other world champion I can recall. It doesn't fit his body type, ability, or anything, and it's been utter bs. I'm glad he's still seen as the "top dog," but I also feel that this gimmick for his is bs and he should be seen as a real threat.

Brock should be able to beat Seth, but barely. Like, when they fought, Brock should've been pushed more than he has been since defeating the streak. But, Seth just gets killed like he does all the time. Same how he got the #cenawins treatment. It's all bs.

endicotton

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Wrestler
wadebarrett
I agree with using them now and again to put guys over, depending how they do it sometimes it can work well..

Unfortunately they have a lot of spots where the 'legends' just come on out and talk, or become a manager etc. This is done because when WWE went through its' silly little PG Era it never really made any stars and so it relies heavily on out-dated guys as it has no other choice.

Neptune

我很喜歡吃餅乾
Reaction score
I agree with using them now and again to put guys over, depending how they do it sometimes it can work well..

Unfortunately they have a lot of spots where the 'legends' just come on out and talk, or become a manager etc. This is done because when WWE went through its' silly little PG Era it never really made any stars and so it relies heavily on out-dated guys as it has no other choice.

I think the PG move was good, specially now how people are so sensitive with things. Also, marketing with kids in mind, well that is a no brainer if you want the big $$$. The problem is, they use the legends to get pops from the older fans who remember the attitude era. It is a cheap way of saying "Yeah we remember what we did too... But we aren't going back there again so this will have to do." .

Most children/kid fans have no idea who Stone Cold is or what he used to do. Let alone how Cena became Cena. They didn't see Orton in his prime or the Rock being the Rock. They get the end result of the PG move. And I agree, they dug themselves into a hole. They don't have enough wrestlers I would consider a "legend" in 15+ years... And that is sad.

Reactions: Red Rain

endicotton

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Wrestler
wadebarrett
Too be honest I can't think of anyone in the last 10 years who could have the same effect... apart from CM Punk possibly but him coming back is extremely unlikely.

Reactions: Neptune

JBan

Reaction score
"Does WWE Rely Too Much on Its Legends?"

One word answer, Yes. :quimby: