Mick Foley: Is he a credible World Champion?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

chessarmy

The answer is yes. Simply because he's Mick Foley, a well oiled veteran that adds lots of star power to TNA's roster. I've heard it all over the past few days, everyone seems to have a problem with Mick Foley as TNA's Heavyweight Champion. But I think everyone thats been bitching should take a step back and look at things positively.

Sure, Foley isn't in his prime and he can barely go in the ring anymore. But lets be honest with ourselves, I'm sure none of you really saw Foley winning the World Title at Lockdown coming. So at least it was something unpredictable. Not to mention, I'm sure TNA's booking team is smart enough not to give Foley a 6 month reign. So whatever happens, I'd expect Foley to lose the title at Sacrifice or Slammiversary. If Foley's Title reign is kept short, I think it will do nothing but help the company. Ratings will increase as more fans are interested to see what crazy shit Foley is going to do next, and maybe some former fans of wrestling that watched Foley in his prime might come back and watch TNA just to see him with the World Title. Foley as World Champion is a smart short term decision, the key words there are SHORT TERM. Like I said, I don't want him to have a 6 month reign and i expect that TNA's creative team is thinking the same thing. The big question is, who is Foley going to drop the belt to? When will it happen? I'm expecting a world title change at Slammiversary since last year Joe retained in KOTM and I would think that TNA would want to switch things up a bit this year. As to who he'll drop it to, I have no clue. If I was booking, I'd have him lose to either Kurt Angle, AJ Styles, or Samoa Joe. Daniels would make a great champion but I think they need to build him back up a bit before he gets inserted in the main event scene. A Legends title run would be great for him.

Thoughts?

xtremebadass

I have to say that he is a credible champion. He has the big name atmosphere to draw attention to TNA. You don't expect much just from looking at him, but you get way more than you bargained for just from his commentary alone. Bottom line, Mick Foley is a great personality, and that's what you need to be a successful pro wrestler, attitude and personality. He is a positive in TNA now. Before Lockdown I thought he would have been a negative, but this whole CRAZY Foley is pretty cool afterall.

MattHardyV1

Reaction score
Foley could keep the title as long as he wants. The thing with TNA is that they dont really need to use their world champ at every TV taping to let us know that hes living. Foley would only really have to wrestle at PPVs and thats about it, otherwise hes a great character and a great champion.

SenDog495

Reaction score
He doesn't deserve to be champion after what he did to Jeff Jarrett, so hopefully he gets pinned next Sunday.

Reaction score
Why not? He's paid his dues like few ever do. Anybody who is willing to sacrifice his body like he has deserves some credibility. Besides he's a helluva nice guy. I met Mick personally a coupla times, he's so down to Earth, and friendly that you almost forget he's famous.

SenDog495

Reaction score
If he's so nice, then why'd he attack Jeff Jarrett last week? Jeff didn't deserve that.

Landonthecrippler

Reaction score
credible?Credible...
He has the promability, I mean every fan from the mid 90's knows who He is, so yeah I guess so.

noumenon

Status wise...hell yeah.
Actual wrestling skills in a one on one match...eeehhh not so much anymore.
Doing crazy shit?.... see Edge vs. Foley from Mania 22. And seeing as how I don't think TNA is above doing shit like that to gain ratings, then yeah...he'll do..lol.

Corndog

Reaction score
Your very right, Chessy. Hey guess who this is?

But anyway.

Mick is a great champion. I've been a fan of his for a long time whether he's Dude,Cactus,Mankind or being himself. I became even more of a fan of his when during the Beyond the Mat documentary after the Royal Rumble 1999 I Quit match when he was bloddy as hell and all he asked the metics was "do you think the fans got there moneys worth?" That's always been a stand out comment to me. Right before he came to TNA I read on of his interviews on the net and he said that I'm here to help TNA and I believed him....fully.

Sure, he can't really go in the ring as much as anymore but his promos have been genius. Man, when he was talking to himself as Cactus Jack it was awesome.

I predict he'll lose it at Slammy but with TNA you never really know that's why it's better than the WWE.

Reaction score
Mick Foley is NOT a credible champion TODAY for what he did TEN years ago. Nor is Sting, Kevin Nash, Scott Stiener and Booker T. Angle IS. He is still relatively relevant in fans minds. Mick Foley has no draw value, if he did, he wouldn't be in TNA, competing with Christian, Jack Swagger and the ECW lot. If TNA's "legends" had drawing power they'd be competing with the "A" shows and not the afterthought "C" shows. What you did ten years ago doesn't matter to the fans that started watching wrestling recently.

I predict he'll lose it at Slammy but with TNA you never really know that's why it's better than the WWE.
You do realize the person booking this unpredictability is the person who booked the unpredictability that put WCW out of business?? Recycled ideas that were never good to begin with in the first place are what keep TNA in the same building with the same 300 people who get to watch for free. That's their legend's drawing power hard at work for them.

Corndog

Reaction score
I'm fully aware of this. BUT I don't see any celebrity being the World Champion. It's nothing like WCW 2000.

Kaedon

Reaction score
Credible isnt the end all be all. If you are trying to build a company with NEW stars, eventually you have to give the ball to them. NOT Angle, NOT Sting, and NOT Foley.

C4

I've always been a BIG fan of Mick Foley.

And he is perhaps the only reason why I still watch TNA. It's also because of guys like Mick Foley, Kurt Angle, Booker T and Sting that I'm interested in the product. If I were to select between AJ Styles vs. Samoa Joe vs. Christopher Daniels and Jeff Jarrett vs. Mick Foley vs. Kurt Angle, I'd definitely prefer the second match simply because I love these guys.

As for Foley himself, I think the guy deserves a long healthy Championship run, he loves the wrestling business and as someone mentioned above has a great character and personality. What else do you need to be a World Champion? Of course, in-ring skills but he isn't 'that' bad inside the ring. Let's just see what the creative team does. I just hope they don't fuck around again and make Mick Foley look bad.