• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

PSN

Kassidy

Reaction score
I am actually quite surprised there isn't a thread on how bad Sony has fucked up recently....

An external intrusion on our system has affected our PlayStation Network and Qriocity services. In order to conduct a thorough investigation and to verify the smooth and secure operation of our network services going forward, we turned off PlayStation Network & Qriocity services on the evening of Wednesday, April 20th. Providing quality entertainment services to our customers and partners is our utmost priority. We are doing all we can to resolve this situation quickly, and we once again thank you for your patience. We will continue to update you promptly as we have additional information to share.

Read more: http://www.ps3hax.net/#ixzz1KSXuV7Xv

Regiserted PSN user? Worry...
Ever used your credit card? WORRY MORE.

Sony admit, that their UNENCRYPTED data they hold about everything PSN user, HAS been stolen.

http://www.ps3hax.net/2011/04/important-psn-update-your-personal-information-has-been-compromised/

A US Senator is demanding answers...
A class action suit has already been filed.....
The UK data protection Agency is looking into matters... (could be a £500,000 fine)

[YT]Cwn4R_GexLM[/YT]

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/05/01/psn-outage-plus-qriocity-free/
Notes handed out before a Sony press conference today (timed so conveniently at 1am EDT in the US, and noon on the Sunday of Golden Week in Japan) reveal that Sony plans to offer free downloads of unidentified "content," 30 days of free PlayStation Plus access to new and existing members, and 30 days of free Qriocity service. The paper also says that PSN service will be restored "soon."

Two days ago, a PlayStation Blog Q&A post mentioned that the company was considering a "goodwill gesture" to PSN users (and sure, why not Qriocity users too) put out by the two-week outage. The company will likely have to provide much more dramatic gestures to appease all the government organizations who have taken interest in the case (and, you know, that enormous data leak).

Follow along after the break for pseudo-liveblog coverage of the presentation by Kaz Hirai and other executives.

Sony guesses that hackers got into the network through an "application server," through which they were then able to get into the database servers and grab data.

Hirai estimates about 10 million PSN users with active credit cards tied to PSN. Security measures will include moving to a new physical data center, more firewalls, and a new "Chief Security Officer." And, of course, a PS3 firmware update. Passwords will only be changeable through the same PS3 that the account was started on, or through a verified email address. Hirai asks you to "be vigilant" and check your credit card statements. Good advice!

Sony will not contact you under any circumstances asking for your credit card number or other personal info. So if someone claiming to be Tom Sony asks for your credit card verification code, you're getting scammed!

Sony is "considering" covering the costs of credit card replacement for affected users. The company is instituting a "welcome back" program including free downloads of selected content, 30 days of free PlayStation Plus for new and existing users, and -- for Qriocity members -- 30 days of free services.

Hirai just called out Anonymous as having attacked Sony by releasing personal info about executives and family members. Sony will cooperate with law enforcement and other organizations to secure data and ensure safety. The fact that this note came right after the Anonymous thing suggests that they'll work with law enforcement to track those kids down too.

Nikkei just asked if all 10 million credit cards got out. Hirai said "we can't rule out the possibility" that credit card info was compromised, but Sony hasn't received any reports of illicit card info usage. Another exec on stage said that all Sony knew on April 20 was that there may have been an intrusion.

Hirai just reminded us that it's not really 78 million people whose info got stolen, because some of those 78 million accounts are duplicate accounts for the same person. He refrained from providing details of the investigation, because the case has just started. But he did say that "not to his knowledge" has Sony been working with law enforcement agencies out of the US, but they have brought "inquiries" to Sony.

The vulnerability in the web server was a vulnerability known about that particular type of server, one of the execs on stage said.

Hirai defended the long response time by saying that Sony took the PSN down as soon as something was shown to be wrong, but analysis took time. "Once we became aware of the situation, we moved promptly to warn customers."

A reporter asked what the purpose of the "intrusion" was. Hirai: "For the past month and a half, we've experienced attacks on various Sony systems. We have yet to identify a direct relationship with a group." Speculation about the objective: "We are not in a position to say one way or the other." That same reporter asked if passwords were encrypted. I believe (translation not being perfect) that Hirai said they were not.

If customers wish to cancel their services, Sony will cooperate in good faith.

Sony has to "keep the integrity" of its system to continue to encourage content creators to create products for PlayStation, Hirai says. Protection of customer information has always been part of the plan since the PS2 network. But now Sony has to "review" its system.

Another exec says Anonymous has attacked "repeatedly," but Sony doesn't know who is behind the recent attacks.

A reporter just asked why Sony Japan was slower to disclose the news than SCEA. Backhanded pat on the back, PlayStation Blog US. Hirai said SCEJ is looking into deploying a PS Blog for Japan.

Because the freebie content will be different by region, Sony was hesitant to put a price on it, but Hirai estimated "a few thousand yen" worth of free downloads. So like $20-25 or so?

In response to a question about install base, Hirai said 37 million PS3 systems are connected to PSN, and 16 million PSP units, but the total install base is larger. Sony isn't disclosing the userbase for Qriocity yet.

Why not hold a press conference on April 27, when the announcement was made? That's the question we all want answered ... according to Hirai, Sony wanted to have an estimate about resumption of services before holding a conference.

In response to concerns about future security, Hirai pledged that Sony will "do its best" to ensure secure data. If that helps.

"If there are, in the days ahead, damages suffered by customers, they will be dealt with on a case-to-case basis," Hirai says.

The evening's final question: what is Hirai's view about the relationship of this case to Anonymous? Hirai says there's "no certainty" of a connection. "It's not intended that they were implicated in any way" regarding this intrusion

so Live > PSN

NinoBrown

Reaction score
You would think because it's Microsoft, Live would more likely to be hacked than PSN. Funny isn't it.

True Story: Some guy threatened to hack and send me a virus because I stole a kill in Gears. Ridiculous, but I got kinda scared and hopped the fuck off lol. Where I intern at there's a bunch of web designers and developers and they told me it's possible but unlikely. And weeks later, PSN gets hacked.

Hometown Kid

Reaction score
Meh, I generally like PSN's interface better than Live's, although the FB and Last.FM features are nifty. Fuck 50 bucks annually for it though, it's not that much better. It amazes me how stupid X-Box fanboys are though. Didn't Live go down for 2-3 weeks a few months ago? During the Holiday season? For 50 bucks? >___>

The problem for most isn't what's happened, and it sure as hell isn't 'cause Live's better, it's that the Sony execs are cocky, money-hungry douchebags. Which is how this whole mess started in the first place.

I hope I at least get a free game outta this though...

PeepShow

Best in the World
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
oAYiXZo
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
w7tcn6p
Favorite Wrestler
FOxu9qI
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
66EZrsh
Favorite Sports Team
OPg6il8
Favorite Sports Team
T5Zw0Si

This Guy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Last year X-Box Live was down for 1 week...it was not because of a hack though it was because of the new interface upgrade...they also credited everyone the one week and many download content was marked down to 75-100% off for 2 weeks when it returned. Sony's master plan is to give their loyal Playstation Plus customers 30 day extention on their Plus, but then give free members who don't pay squat 30 days free of Plus too. (Way to make your loyal Plus users feel special) and of course since most Free members will not be aware of how Plus actually works, when their free trial of Plus ends and their Plus Free download doesn't work unless they resubscribe some of them will which means Sony instead of giving their customers something will actually be gaining more customers under the gise of doing something nice when really they are just trying to line their pockets some more.

nation

Reaction score
yes. this goes for everything. just because PSN was targeted doesnt mean they cant do the same to live if they wanted to.

Where the fuck have you been? You piece of shit......

Yes, Live has better security than PSN obviously and overall is a better service but if you want to pay to play games online when you should have that right by purchasing games that feature online play, go ahead. Sony has the right idea with Plus, pay for extra features and shit.

This whole situation is hilarious. People are PISSED and FLIPPING OUT when no one(not a single person) has had their credit cards used to purchase something(theft). From what I understand the hackers don't even have the proper information to do so. Blame the piece of shit hackers, sure Sony should have avoided this and had this resolved ASAP but it's their fault for stealing identities and bringing PSN down for so long. Fuck every mother fucker who hacked their PS3.

Hometown Kid

Reaction score
Like I said, wish they'd actually do something to make up for it. Like This Guy said they're using a ripoff to rip more people off. Sony aren't idiots, they're actually very smart. They're just so un-customer friendly, which will be their downfall.

Lady Redfield

Itchy tasty
Reaction score
This whole situation is hilarious. People are PISSED and FLIPPING OUT when no one(not a single person) has had their credit cards used to purchase something(theft). From what I understand the hackers don't even have the proper information to do so. Blame the piece of shit hackers, sure Sony should have avoided this and had this resolved ASAP but it's their fault for stealing identities and bringing PSN down for so long. Fuck every mother fucker who hacked their PS3.

Who's to say the hackers don't have your CC info and are just waiting for a better time to use them? If they use it now, they will probably be tracked a little more easily. Let some time go by, let the news die down, let everyone think 'I've been checking my CC account for a month now, guess no one has my info' and then start using the CCs when people assume all is well in the world and they stop checking their accounts.

Most people wont notice a few dollars and cents missing. The hackers wont go big and take out a load of cash that would be easy to spot right away. They will start small so you don't even notice it.

Kassidy

Reaction score
I blame sony for multiple reason and they are the ones to blame;

1. Sony should protect and actually encrypt our information
2. Sony was told this could happen and did nothing to prevent it months ago
3. Sony brought this upon themselves when they decided they screw with their customers and remove the other os, not because people were pirating but so they can use 3rd party or home made apps; Sony was just mad people beat their security
4. Sony are just a bunch of money hungry douches who don't give two shits about their customers

nation

Reaction score
Who's to say the hackers don't have your CC info and are just waiting for a better time to use them? If they use it now, they will probably be tracked a little more easily. Let some time go by, let the news die down, let everyone think 'I've been checking my CC account for a month now, guess no one has my info' and then start using the CCs when people assume all is well in the world and they stop checking their accounts.

Most people wont notice a few dollars and cents missing. The hackers wont go big and take out a load of cash that would be easy to spot right away. They will start small so you don't even notice it.

Well, anyone with half a fucking brain should be monitoring their credit card purchase history. Sony is offering to purchase new credit cards for those with identities stolen and to pay for identity theft courses. They are working with the FBI to to track these fuckers down who caused all of this. They are also working with organizations and governments to protect information, improve security, find out the causes, how they defend them and everything. On top all of this we are getting free shit. 30 days of Plus and exclusive offers or something. If you end up liking Plus, you can get a subscription.

I don't know why some people are bitching about them giving things away, it's fucking hilarious, for people who already have it they get added 30 days to their overall subscription but everyone gets to try it out. It's a great deal and I don't know how their response could have been better besides giving us a time frame as to when PSN will be back earlier and what they are doing to improve security.

Also, this is the fault of the hackers. They hacked into the system and it's servers. Blame them. No one even fucking used OtherOs, it's a bullshit excuse from pirates and hackers. Hardly anyone actually even used the fucking feature.

Luke Flywalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
^Sony has said they will determine on a case-to-case basis if they'll pay for your Credit Card replacements, not that they will do it. They've said they will determine via case-to-case if they will refund cash lost.

Sony is saying this because they know they're going to be sued regardless of whether they help people or not because it has still compromised millions. There are people who fought to get their credit back up and could get hurt because of this; others who need credit for their careers, especially abroad... and a ton who need their credit to continue in school and tuition will not be covered if their credit flops. This is ruining livelihoods, and Sony is the target of anyone who falls under these categories if the hackers actually got anything.

I'm still hearing shenanigans though and that this wasn't a serious issue based on the fact that the hackers left breadcrumbs for Sony to find out they were there, and they were left in places any hacker serious about doing this wouldn't have left and the sheer volume of information taken. With the security system Sony had in place, it was vulnerable enough for a hacker to take several cards at once thus leaving it more discreet, not leaving any major clues that Sony was being hacked. Whoever did this, it appears, wanted Sony to know it was hacked... which is why Anon was blamed immediately, because they've warned Sony themselves that this shit was possible.

Reaction score
First sony priced themselves out of the market then they do this. This is he first Sony failure where the product was right but the execution and administration of the product went to shit. Its the MD situation redux. At least it isn't a betta max level failure.

nation

Reaction score
^Sony has said they will determine on a case-to-case basis if they'll pay for your Credit Card replacements, not that they will do it. They've said they will determine via case-to-case if they will refund cash lost.

Sony is saying this because they know they're going to be sued regardless of whether they help people or not because it has still compromised millions. There are people who fought to get their credit back up and could get hurt because of this; others who need credit for their careers, especially abroad... and a ton who need their credit to continue in school and tuition will not be covered if their credit flops. This is ruining livelihoods, and Sony is the target of anyone who falls under these categories if the hackers actually got anything.

I'm still hearing shenanigans though and that this wasn't a serious issue based on the fact that the hackers left breadcrumbs for Sony to find out they were there, and they were left in places any hacker serious about doing this wouldn't have left and the sheer volume of information taken. With the security system Sony had in place, it was vulnerable enough for a hacker to take several cards at once thus leaving it more discreet, not leaving any major clues that Sony was being hacked. Whoever did this, it appears, wanted Sony to know it was hacked... which is why Anon was blamed immediately, because they've warned Sony themselves that this shit was possible.

I understand everyone worrying but one one has had false purchases occur and it's not going to happen. From what I understand the hackers don't have all of the information to even do so and especially now with the FBI investigating, they won't do a god damn thing.

First sony priced themselves out of the market then they do this. This is he first Sony failure where the product was right but the execution and administration of the product went to shit. Its the MD situation redux. At least it isn't a betta max level failure.

LOL, Sony had to charge so much for the PS3 years ago and they still sold it a loss. This PSN situation doesn't beat the RROD failure. Companies have their fuck ups. Microsoft had the RROD, Sony has issues with hackers and their network and Nintendo can't balance out it's identity.

Go on msn.......

Luke Flywalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
^They don't necessarily need your security code, and all Sony has said is that they likely don't have those, they don't know for sure.

As far as the FBI, they haven't always been a deterrent.