Steve Austin Talks About Possibly Wrestling at WrestleMania XXX and more

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Zigglypuff

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler
Favorite Wrestler
jeffhardy
Favorite Wrestler
johnmorrison
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
briebella
Favorite Wrestler
matthardy
- Steve Austin recently appeared on Busted Open with Dave Lagreca and Doug Mortman. Here are some highlights:

If he misses Tough Enough: "Hell, I do miss it. I don't know why or how WWE and USA network combined dropped the football on that show because it was turning in the numbers it needed to. Everybody loved it. It was great television. I had a chance to get back into the wrestling business. Get my hands back in and mold people to be future WWE superstars or take them through the paces. And they took that all away. That was my first experience into reality television and that's what made me fall in love with that specific line of work. Once again, why they dropped the ball, I have no idea. But it was a piss poor decision if you ask me."

If he likes the direction the WWE is taking right now, appearing to be a little more edgier than they have been in the past couple of years: "Well now they're just starting to turn the corner with some of these new cats they brought in. So they're picking it up a little bit. I mean there are a lot of guys still walking on eggshells in that territory or in that locker room. I'm actually considering doing another podcast and that's gonna be breaking down Monday Night Raw and Friday Night Smackdown and a little bit of TNA. Just to add to my two show rotation a week. So I'm going to be examining that product a lot more in depth. I kind of gotten away from watching it, to a large degree in recent past. Especially since they jacked it up to a three hour Monday Night Raw. That's tough to fulfill three hours worth of content and keep it interesting and not stale. So I'm gonna delve into that, take a look at it, and report about it accordingly. I think they are finally heading back in the right direction though to bottom line it."

How much does Triple H have to do with this direction the company seems to be heading in: "Well I think as long as Vince is around and hopefully he is around for a long time, it's gonna be his baby cause he's the one that bought the territory from his dad and made it into what it is, a global phenomenon. Put everyone else out of business with the vision that he had, has taken it through all the different changes that he has. But I know that when I speak about Triple H, I know that he comes from the same school I come from. And he was kind of the last guys to come up in the territory systems. But he digs the work, he digs the serious nature. He's still knows he's got to entertain a wide variety of age, you know the demo. And there is something for everybody in the show now. And it was kind of a little bit more adult orientated maybe when I was in there but I think Triple H is gonna bring a serious nature to the business from his presentation or how he views the business still. I think it's going to be a combination of everybody involved. Because obviously right now, it's still Vince's baby and it always will be."

If he thought that the What? chants would still be around at this point: "You know, no because that's the funny thing I've been gone for 10 or 11 years or whatever it's been. So that's a whole generation removed. I mean there are some youngsters that have never seen or heard of Stone Cold. So for that to be still around, for them to still be doing it. It's a testament to the staying power of one word and I had no idea what I was creating back in the day when I did."

The What? chants being hurtful now and having no place to be used: "Yeah but you know what, here's the thing. To anybody delivering a promo in the ring, if you don't give those pauses in your delivery of your promo speech, whatever business you're doing. If you don't give them that spot to put the what in, they cannot. So all they have to do is speed up their cadence a little bit. You ain't gotta rush through your promo but you can still make your points. Also stagger the pauses so they can't get into a rhythm. So there is a way around the what. It's just a lot of people aren't smart enough to figure it out."

If we could possibly see Stone Cold at Wrestlemania 30, if he is healthy enough to get back in the ring again: "Oh I'm healthy enough. My knees coming around just fine, it's better than it's ever been because I've been doing my do diligence on my rehab. I've got two new ligaments. Everything else is pain free. I'm still in shape been working out harder than I've ever worked out. But here's the deal. When you're gonna try to commit to do a Wrestlemania 30, you're looking really at, at least a two to three month commitment, if not four. So you know you're talking about, taking everything else of the table. I can still do my podcast but take everything else off the table and focus specifically on that task. To do it the way I would do it, to do it the way Stone Cold Steve Austin would do it, at a 120 percent. Because to go out there and to try to perform at 85-90 percent because you didn't prep enough. That would be bogus, that would be BS that would be letting the crowd down. And that would be representing the Stone Cold Steve Austin that I know and love to a degree that is not acceptable. So once you throw a legitimate, real deal offer down on the table and say let's talk, then we'll talk. But until then, conjecture."

If he is up to the challenge: "Well if I'm gonna agree to the challenge, accept it and go into it because I want to and the business makes sense, then absolutely."

If Punk vs Austin would be an all- time great match: "Oh it definitely could. It brings a lot to the table from a verbal standpoint with his well thought out promos, the way in which he conducts his business. I like his product in the ring. I like to see him turn it up more in the mainstream. I like to see a little more physicality, laying in stuff a little more. I like to see him be a little bit more aggressive. That's just off the top of my head. Other than that, I like everything about the cat."

How big it would be if he wrestled at WM 30: "Well I'm not going to put the cart in front of the horse. I'm not lobbying for a match. If the starts lined up, then it would happen, but it's going to take a lot for those stars to line up. No sense in beating a dead horse. To think about it is one thing, to actually go out, come to terms and go through the business prep and actually accomplish a match, it's a whole different ballgame and a major process."
Read more at Steve Austin Talks About Possibly Wrestling at WrestleMania XXX, Tough Enough, What Chants and Lots More

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
I just don't know if it is worth the risk for Austin to wrestle one more match after a decade out of the ring. He retired because of some serious injuries, including a neck injury, and whilst he may be feeling strong now getting back in the ring and taking bumps is a lot different.

I completely agree with him in regards to Tough Enough. Really enjoyable show and it pulled good ratings for WWE and USA. It wouldn't have been expensive to run and all WWE needed to do was play a bigger role in casting the show to give them a better chance at finding some decent talent.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Tough Enough was great, wish it lasted as they had the right dynamic with the trainers, just the wrong winner in Andy over Luke.

Would love SCSA to work mania 30 since I'm going, but don't want him to risk his health by getting the itch back and not knowing when to quit

Weez

Reaction score
I loved TE. Hell, I was doing a weekly live-chat during TE before Raw (IIRC, it was before Raw, Right?) I think the people they had were decent, it just didn't turn out as well as it should have. I think their cast was too green. I understand they were still trying to work off the Original Tough Enough premise, but times have changed. I think Matt Cross was the most seasoned guy on the roster, and he was too timid to shine.

Make a new one, use a bunch of Indy dudes. Don't have them run the fucking ropes. Call them by their real names, but openly talk about what "gimmicks" they use on the indies. Hell, WWE isn't going to use their bullshit anyway, use it for TV. If they don't make it, at least they get some name recognition on the indies. Let them get in there and call their spot-monkey bullshit and let SCSA and the trainers teach them Ring Psychology and storytelling. That's what most of those fucking indy guys need, and who can learn it, gets to be on WWE TV. And some that done, get to go to NXT lol.

As far as WM XXX, I'd love to see Stone Cold vs. Punk. Since that AMAZING Video package WWE made for WWE All Stars, I've craved a feud between the two guys. I think He's probably healthy enough for one more good match with a couple month build up around it for WM Season. Damn, I'd love to see it.

punk13

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
therock2
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
lita2
Favorite Wrestler
antoniocesaro
Seems Like These Words Are From a Man That wouldn't Mind Getting a Call From Vince Sometime in The Future.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Funny how those guys asked him basically the same questions he answered on his own podcast.

His neck is good enough to perfrom his own stunts on his movies, I'm sure he'll feel safe enough to throw punches with CM Punk at Mania, it's not like he is going to bump his ass off. He worked safely with a fucked up neck by simply changing his style and eliminating fast bumps, it was his heel work that fucked up his neck again. They have to feed the babyface fast back bumps. Same reason why DDP had to retire. Give old DDP a call and he could fix you up good.

Mick Donalds

Banned
Reaction score
Tough Enough was great. Cut out the dumbass "stunt challenges" they had, and stack it with Indy guys (and NO DIVAS, Goddamnit!) similar to what Wizzpiss said, and you'd have an even better show.

As for Austin returning to wrestle, I hope he doesn't. I know he didn't get a retirement match and all, but he's moved on.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Just have Punk cut one of his speciality whiny boring promos, then let Austin come down and stunner him and smash a can of beer off his head.

Slight problem with Punk flip flopping back to a heel again, but if it means this match gets made who cares really. He will be a heel by default anyway as he's never gonna outpop Austin.

TheTimidPimp

Reaction score
Really want this match to happen more than anything. Tough Enough was good, it did bring Miz into my life though so it's got a lot to answer for.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Bored of hearing all this talk about one final match, just either say you're interested in working one more match or you're not and quit with all this maybe bullshit.

Gimmick

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
I'm kind of beyond caring at this point. If it happens great, if it doesn't then it's no surprise.

I'm guessing it's totally up to Austin whether he'll work Mania, I'm sure WWE would love to book him for it.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Bored of hearing all this talk about one final match, just either say you're interested in working one more match or you're not and quit with all this maybe bullshit.

Oh please......Why risk alienating a fanbase? He says he is done with wrestling you get a bunch of morons who claim he turned his back on wrestling, he used us blah blah blah......same shit Rock was getting before Mania 27.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Well unless he does actually get back in the ring he's still going to piss off a shit ton of his fans because he's constantly teasing that he's fit, capable and willing to work again.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Him coming back to wrestle is like Sting being signed to WWE, it just becomes a topic every fucking year, so he has to comment on it because he is getting bombarded with the questions every year. He is not stupid enough to say "hell no, I ain't wrestling again." He will just piss more people off, far more than those who act like they don't care, but constantly keep telling us how much they don't care.

Same people would mark the fuck out with tears in their eyes if they heard the glass break in the middle of a Punk promo.

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
As far as the TE statement. Meh we got even less out of this Tough Enough than the original so...

WM30 shit or get off the pot. If it's happening it needs to be 30. Does he need it? No. Does WWE need it? Arguable. But using top talent from Ten years ago to put over Cena and Punk isn't helping the WWE as a whole. It's guys like Ziggler, Sheamus, Axel that really need the rub.

Still need to do [MENTION=2]Troy[/MENTION] and I's Survivor series match that'll put over todays talent the best.