What If? - The nWo Was Never Formed

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Reaction score
Just image what the world of professional wrestling would be like if there was never an nWo.

What do you think wrestling would be like?

Would it still even be around without them?

Would WCW have survived as long as they did?

Leave your thoughts and opinions down below.

Tyler2

Abap
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
reymysterio
Favorite Wrestler
rvd
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Sports Team
rRE8Tx2
Favorite Sports Team
dJHMFjb
Hmmm maybe WCW would've been like ECW at the time with a slightly bigger fanbase

Geese

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
E3RY3ej
Favorite Wrestler
Y8A7yx1
Favorite Sports Team
sacramentokings
Favorite Sports Team
Rx1XOnt
WCW Monday Nitro had a strong show when it first premiered in 1995. I think even without the NWO angle, World Championship Wrestling would've had a strong product. Remember, Nitro was aired live at the time while WWF Monday Night Raw was pre-taped. Eric Bischoff made no bones about it when he would give away the ending to the main events on Raw. "Shawn Michaels beat the big guy [Sid Vicious] with a superkick which wouldn't have earned him a green belt at the YMCA." This was in reference to an Intercontinental Championship match between HBK and Psycho Sid in '95.

WWF in '95 had gimmicks like T.L. Bopper, Aldo Montoya, Bertha Faye, The Goon. If WCW didn't do the NWO angle, I'm sure Eric Bischoff would've stolen another ingenious idea from a Japanese promotion and claimed it was his own creation.

Last edited:
Reaction score
WCW Monday Nitro had a strong show when it first premiered in 1995. I think even without the NWO angle, World Championship Wrestling would've had a strong product. Remember, Nitro was aired live at the time while WWF Monday Night Raw was pre-taped. Eric Bischoff made no bones about it when he would give away the ending to the main events on Raw. "Shawn Michaels beat the big guy [Sid Vicious] with a superkick which wouldn't have earned him a green belt at the YMCA." This was in reference to an Intercontinental Championship match between HBK and Psycho Sid in '95.

WWF in '95 had gimmicks like T.L. Bopper, Aldo Montoya, Bertha Faye, The Goon. If WCW didn't do the NWO angle, I'm sure Eric Bischoff would've stolen another ingenious idea from a Japanese promotion and claimed it was his own creation.
I do think WCW would have still been around for a few years but without the nWo, I really don't believe they would have lasted to even 1999.

Jay-Ashley

The War Dog Rebel
Reaction score
If nWo wasn't formed then we had no Bullet Club, which means I wouldn't have gotten back into wrestling like I have.

Redboy123@

Reaction score
This is one of those questions that no one can answer. Dare I say this a pointless thread?

Redboy123@

Reaction score
And? What do you think would have happened? We know what really did happen. Have a little fun and fantasy book what would have or could have happened!
I'm indifferent to the idea of fantasy booking

The Villain

Jobber
Reaction score
I don't think too much would be affected. The nWo was obviously WCW's biggest angle ever but it got a bit stale after a while. I think WCW still would've lasted as long as it did and WWE would have still won it all.

Reactions: WrestleRacer91
Reaction score
I don't think too much would be affected. The nWo was obviously WCW's biggest angle ever but it got a bit stale after a while. I think WCW still would've lasted as long as it did and WWE would have still won it all.
Would Goldberg have happened? Because in my opinion, without Goldberg in '97 & '98 WCW would have been in true shambles I think. Goldberg in my opinion was a household name.

See, as a kid I never watched WCW but I somehow knew who Goldberg was.

Paul Diaz-Berrio

The Artiste
Reaction score
Well, I think the NWO served more as an enemy to be defeated, rather than the revolutionary body it was hoping to be. I think it caused an upset in the company that the good guys had to make up for by making some of its members whipping boys.

It started with the first Nitro I watched back in June 1997. It started off with Ric Flair taking on Scott Hall and the match consisted mostly of Ric Flair using Scott Hall as his punching bag. After Scott flicked his toothpick in Flair´s face, Flair laid into him with a barrage of punches to his body and face, none of which Hall blocked or countered and ended up flooring him. Hall fought back, but Ric Flair low blowed him with a heel kick and then got him in the figure four, Sean Waltman, who was at ringside during the match, had to interfere to cause a DQ.

Another time, Randy Savage was beaten up by Sting and I still remember Savage standing there, taking the punches, before going down. The other NWO members at the scene recieved the same treatment or worse.

Want another example? Kevin Nash threw a punch at Bret Hart after Bret interfered in one of his matches, Bret blocked it and laid into Kevin Nash with a number of punches that floored him and Bret was about to put Nash in the sharpshooter.

If the NWO had never happened, I believe WCW would´ve been so much better off. They wouldn´t have had to make the fan favs hand the heels their asses in a way that made it painfully obvious the bad guys had to be punished for becoming too powerful. I feel that it was just such an awkward period in WCW´s otherwise endearing era.

Reaction score
Well, I think the NWO served more as an enemy to be defeated, rather than the revolutionary body it was hoping to be. I think it caused an upset in the company that the good guys had to make up for by making some of its members whipping boys.

It started with the first Nitro I watched back in June 1997. It started off with Ric Flair taking on Scott Hall and the match consisted mostly of Ric Flair using Scott Hall as his punching bag. After Scott flicked his toothpick in Flair´s face, Flair laid into him with a barrage of punches to his body and face, none of which Hall blocked or countered and ended up flooring him. Hall fought back, but Ric Flair low blowed him with a heel kick and then got him in the figure four, Sean Waltman, who was at ringside during the match, had to interfere to cause a DQ.

Another time, Randy Savage was beaten up by Sting and I still remember Savage standing there, taking the punches, before going down. The other NWO members at the scene recieved the same treatment or worse.

Want another example? Kevin Nash threw a punch at Bret Hart after Bret interfered in one of his matches, Bret blocked it and laid into Kevin Nash with a number of punches that floored him and Bret was about to put Nash in the sharpshooter.

If the NWO had never happened, I believe WCW would´ve been so much better off. They wouldn´t have had to make the fan favs hand the heels their asses in a way that made it painfully obvious the bad guys had to be punished for becoming too powerful. I feel that it was just such an awkward period in WCW´s otherwise endearing era.
Before the nWo WCW was dying a long slow death. They couldn't draw crowds of more than 5 or 6 thousand. So without them they most likely wouldn't have been around even by 1999 in my opinion.