WWE Announces PERMANENT Changes to Commentary Teams for RAW AND Smackdown

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Crippler

Prove me wrong
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
Turns out that adding Booker T to Monday night's Raw broadcast wasn't a one week deal due to Jerry Lawler's illness.

The permanent Raw team, WWE has announced, will be Michael Cole, JBL and Booker.

Lawler isn't gone, though, as he'll be moving to Thursday nights to be a permanent fixture on Smackdown along with Cole and Byron Saxton.

Pay-per-view (PPV) broadcasts will be manned with the old Raw team of Cole, King and JBL.

Here's the press release:

WWE® ANNOUNCES NEW BROADCAST TEAMS AS A PART OF SMACKDOWN®'S MOVE TO THURSDAY NIGHTS

STAMFORD, CONN., January 8, 2015 - As part of WWE SmackDown's move next week to Thursday nights at 8 PM on Syfy, WWE has announced changes to the broadcast teams for its flagship programs Monday Night Raw® and WWE SmackDown. Starting Monday, January 12, Michael Cole, Booker T® and John "Bradshaw" Layfield® will handle play-by-play and color commentary on Raw. Michael Cole, Jerry "The King" Lawler® and Byron SaxtonTM will be the hosts for SmackDown when it debuts next Thursday at 8 PM on Syfy.

The broadcast team for WWE pay-per-view events will continue to be Michael Cole, Jerry "The King" Lawler and John "Bradshaw" Layfield.

Michael Cole has been the voice of WWE for more than 15 years, calling all of the action on Raw, SmackDown and WWE pay-per-view events. Booker T is a WWE Hall of Famer, a multi-time World Heavyweight Champion, and recent panelist on the Raw pre-and-post shows on WWE Network. John "Bradshaw" Layfield is a former World Heavyweight Champion and a frequent guest contributor on the Fox News Channel. Jerry "The King" Lawler is a WWE Hall of Famer, and a mainstay at ringside, bringing his unique form of color commentary to WWE fans for more than 20 years. Byron Saxton is a former ECW® and NXT® broadcaster, and most recently was a reporter for Raw and SmackDown.

http://www.cagesideseats.com/wwe-sm...eals-new-announce-teams-for-raw-and-smackdown

:banderas:

AZUCAR!

Reaction score
Good. I hate Lawler nowadays. I hardly watch SD too, so i'll only have to put up with him on PPV's.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
So I don't have to hear Lawler anymore and his awful, awful jokes? Fuck yeah :mark:

Byron Saxton fucking sucks though.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
King is the original voice of Thursday night SmackDown. Before the brand split he had announced more SDs than Cole or JR. A great way to make the show seem more special is put him on it

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
So they kick the white guy from Smackdown and added Byron? 2 white guys and a PHX team for both shows.

Well atleast my Mondays wont have any "he got them Krispy Kreme eyes" or lame jokes.

Now the parents of Memphis will have to patrol playgrounds on Mondays now that Lawler won't be accounted for on Mondays.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Booker is a step up from the King, although I did find some of his past annoncing work to be clitche. The banter between him and the Heel version of Cole were the highlights IMO.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Not a bad change at all but I agree about not being a fan of Byron on commentary. Really wish they would have picked someone else for that spot.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
I guess I'm in the minority here but I don't mind Byron as an announcer. He's definitely not anything special, but I think he does the job good enough

Twitchy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
heathslater
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho2
Favorite Wrestler
alsnow
Favorite Wrestler
melina
HULK HOGAN, WE COMIN FOR YOU NI$$A

Defiant

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
thewhyats
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
More of Booker T's baffling commentary is always a good thing. Jerry is relegated to Smackdown and Saxton moves up to SD now means we are inches closer to a tolerable broadcast team.

Reactions: Keith

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Having watched last weeks raw I see that Booker is as bad on commentary as always, no scrub that he is even worse:bookert:

BTW who is the heel supposed to be on that team? Assumed it was JBL but then his involvement with the NWO segment throws that idea away.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Fuck that outdated heel announcer shit...leave it with Gorilla and Heenan. Commentary is just guys watching a show and. Giving a few incites to the action.

Watch any real sports program and it's the same shit. This isn't radio where Howard Cosell paints a picture of everything. We can see it on TV.

I love how people say McMahon is out of touch, but when he tries something new, they piss and moan about changing something that worked 30 years ago.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
I don't see how ANYONE can be worse than Lawler, that guy is so far over the hill it's a joke.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Fuck that outdated heel announcer shit...leave it with Gorilla and Heenan. Commentary is just guys watching a show and. Giving a few incites to the action.

Watch any real sports program and it's the same shit. This isn't radio where Howard Cosell paints a picture of everything. We can see it on TV.

I love how people say McMahon is out of touch, but when he tries something new, they piss and moan about changing something that worked 30 years ago.

Well he's not trying anything new the anti-hero thing was first used about 20 years ago. And I was asking a question not knocking him.

Dale Booker is not worse than the King no, but then that isn't saying much really.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Well he's not trying anything new the anti-hero thing was first used about 20 years ago. And I was asking a question not knocking him.

Dale Booker is not worse than the King no, but then that isn't saying much really.
JBL was never a clear heel on commentary, those days are over. He is just JBL reacting to the show anyway you or I would. He sides with the authority because he is a corporate kiss ass. He doesn't like Ascension because they were claiming to he better than guys he knew.

That's the reality era. They react the way we do online.